3 light bulbs 3 switches

In summary, there are various ways to determine which bulb corresponds to which switch without the use of external equipment. One method is to flip one switch on and wait a minute, then flip it off and flip another switch on. Another method is to turn on one light and leave it on for a while, then turn it off and turn on another switch. Another solution involves using an iPhone app or feeling the bulbs for temperature differences. Additionally, one can put a switch halfway between on and off to determine its corresponding bulb, or turn a bulb off and quickly teleport to see if it is transitioning to on or off. These methods may vary depending on the specific scenario.
Automagman
You are in a room with 3 switches which correspond to 3 bulbs in another room and you don't know which switch corresponds to which bulb. You can only teleport to the room with the bulbs and back once. You can NOT use any external equipment (power supplies, resistors, etc.). How do you find out which bulb corresponds to which switch?

I found two answers to this one I am sure there are a ton more.

Oh and no making up dumb stuff like saying the wires connecting the switches and bulbs are all different colors and then using that to get your answer. :mad:

Physics news on Phys.org
Answer (highlight):Flip one switch on and wait a minute. Flip it off and flip another switch on. Teleport to the room. The switch you just flipped corresponds to the light that's on. Feel the two bulbs that are off. The switch you flipped first corresponds to the hot bulb, while the switch you never flipped corresponds to the room-temperature bulb.

i think we've had it a couple of times before. anyways my answer is the same as above.

My answer is the same as the above, above post.

The Bob (2004 ©)

Coincidentally, my answer is the same as the above x3. :tongue2:

Old riddle =)

I have a different answer.

Turn one switch on and off for a few years and then switch another one on and teleport to the room. The one that's burned out was the first switch, the one that's on is the second switch, and the one that's off is the unused switch.

Another solution...

Turn on one light and leave it on for awhile at night for a month, then turn it off and turn on the second switch. Teleport there and the one that has dead bugs underneath it is the first one that was on. The light that's currently on is the second switch... etc...

Although... that's in reality. This may not be reality... in which case none of your answers would work either because what if flipping the switch up turns it off instead of on, and what if that's the case with all the switches, or if that's the case with only 1 or 2 of the switches. Or maybe 1 or more of the bulbs are burned out already. Anyway... just for fun anyways... :tongue2:

use the iPhone app that allows you to turn on/off lights remotely

Three more ways I made up.

1. Put one of the switches half way between on and off. You can do this by hearing the electrical contact zapping when the small distance between them makes sparks. Turn one of the lights on. The flickering bulb is the half switch and the other two are easy.
  2. Turn on one bulb, wait 3 seconds, and as you turn on another instantly teleport to the room. If it was instant you have enough time to see if one of the bulbs warmed up to full luminosity or not.
  3. Same thing but turn one off and teleport to see if it's transitioning to on-off.

same as hypermorphism

1. How can I turn on all 3 light bulbs with only 3 switches?

The solution to this puzzle is to first turn on two of the switches and leave them on for a few minutes. Then, turn off one of the switches and quickly flip the third switch on and off. This will cause the third light bulb to turn on, while the other two remain on.

2. Is it possible to turn on only one light bulb at a time?

Yes, it is possible to turn on only one light bulb at a time by turning on one switch and leaving the other two switches off.

3. Can I turn on the light bulbs in any specific order?

Yes, you can turn on the light bulbs in any order you choose. The important factor is the timing of flipping the switches on and off, rather than the order in which you flip them.

4. Are there any other ways to solve this puzzle?

Yes, there are multiple ways to solve this puzzle. Some people may come up with different creative solutions, but the most common solution involves turning on two switches and flipping the third one quickly.

5. Is there a scientific explanation behind this puzzle?

Yes, this puzzle can be explained through the concept of residual current. When a light bulb is turned off, there is still a small amount of current running through it. By turning on another switch and quickly flipping the third switch, the residual current is amplified and can light up the third bulb.