Should I add an intercooler and EGR to my turbocharged gas engine?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of turbocharging natural gas engines and the potential use of intercoolers and EGR systems. It is noted that intercoolers are not used to improve volumetric efficiency, but rather to reduce temperature and improve air density. The purpose of EGR systems is to mimic a higher octane rating and reduce pollution, but their effectiveness on natural gas engines is uncertain. Additional resources on the effects of intercoolers and EGR on turbocharged SI engines are requested for further research.
autoingenes
Hey Guys needed some advice related to Turbocharging of natural gas engines.
I'm working on turbocharging of gas engine for the first time and was trying to do some research on the same before jumping into the nitty gritty stuff. I Do not have much experience working with turbochargers. Turbo natural gas engine are very rare and its difficult to find any helpful material either.

I know that turbocharged diesel engines generally include intercoolers to further increase the volumetric efficiency. Since Natural gas engine have lower volumetric efficiency, will adding an intercooler have a quantifiable improvement on increasing the volumetric efficiency?

Also what are the pro and cons of adding an EGR to the mix?

Any links/papers describing the effect (good or bad) of adding an intercooler and/or EGR to a turbocharged SI engine will go a long way in helping me make up my mind.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Intercoolers are not there to improve the volumetric efficiency, per se. They are there to reduce the temperature of the compressed air to improve the air density and because charging the cylinders with heated air can produce excessive combustion temps and high EGTs.

EGR systems are there to make the gas behave like it has a higher octane rating and to reduce combustion temps in order to reduce pollution. Natural gas already has a very high octane rating, so it's questionable whether adding EGR would do much for octane. Not sure about the pollution part.

What is turbocharging?

Turbocharging is a method of increasing the power output of a gas engine by compressing the incoming air before it enters the engine. This allows for more air and fuel to be burned, resulting in more power.

How does turbocharging work?

Turbocharging uses a turbine and compressor connected by a shaft. The turbine is powered by exhaust gases, which spin the compressor, compressing the incoming air and sending it to the engine.

What are the benefits of turbocharging?

Turbocharging can significantly increase the power output of a gas engine without increasing its size or weight. This can improve fuel efficiency, reduce emissions, and provide a more responsive driving experience.

What are the potential drawbacks of turbocharging?

One potential drawback is turbo lag, which is the delay in power delivery when the driver presses the accelerator. This can be minimized with advanced turbocharging technology, but it may still be present in some engines.

What types of gas engines are suitable for turbocharging?

Most modern gas engines are suitable for turbocharging, as long as they are designed to handle the increased pressure and temperatures. However, some older or smaller engines may not have the necessary components or strength to handle the added stress of turbocharging.