Introduction to Wave Propagation in Fluids

In summary, the conversation is about finding a book or paper on the introduction to wave propagation in fluid for a graduate level physics paper. Recommendations include Fluid Mechanics by Landau and Lifshitz, Theoretical Mechanics of Particles and Continua by Fetter and Walecka, Waves in Fluids by Lighthill, and Fundamentals of Physical Acoustics by David T. Blackstock.
NeroKid
Hello everyone, I am going to do a paper that has something to do with wave propagation in a medium, but I am new in this area, so can you guy suggest any book or paper on introduction to the propagation of wave in fluid, my have a solid background in mathematics and mechanics , thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org
Since no one else more qualified is responding I will take a stab at it; I have looked at your other posts and it seems like you are at the graduate level for physics. I would first recommend looking in your library to see what works for you.

Recommendations may depend upon what aspects you are interested in and how much detail you would like. Fluid Mechanics by Landau and Lifshitz has a lot on waves - including acoustic waves, surface waves, and internal waves - but is neither elementary nor short. I took a class that used this as the secondary text and thought that it was okay.

A shorter, easier to read presentation is in Theoretical Mechanics of Particles and Continua by Fetter and Walecka, which has a two chapter sequence on acoustic and surface waves that is straightforward and well presented. I really like it. It does not include internal waves, though, which may or may not matter to you.

jason

NeroKid said:
Hello everyone, I am going to do a paper that has something to do with wave propagation in a medium, but I am new in this area, so can you guy suggest any book or paper on introduction to the propagation of wave in fluid, my have a solid background in mathematics and mechanics , thank you very much

Lighthill, Waves in Fluids (Cambridge University Press).

Last edited by a moderator:
Fundamentals of Physical Acoustics by David T. Blackstock. Any good physical acoustics book will explain wave propagation in various media.

1. What is wave propagation in fluids?

Wave propagation in fluids is the study of how waves travel through different types of fluids, such as water, air, and other liquids or gases. This includes understanding the properties of waves, such as their speed, frequency, and wavelength, as well as how they interact with the medium they are traveling through.

2. What are some examples of wave propagation in fluids?

Some common examples of wave propagation in fluids include ocean waves, sound waves in air or water, seismic waves, and electromagnetic waves in the Earth's ionosphere. These waves can have different properties and behaviors depending on the type of fluid they are traveling through.

3. How is wave propagation in fluids different from wave propagation in solids?

Wave propagation in fluids differs from solids in several ways. For example, in fluids, the particles are free to move and can be displaced by the wave, while in solids, the particles are tightly packed and can only vibrate in place. Additionally, fluids have varying densities and viscosities, which can affect the speed and behavior of waves.

4. What factors affect wave propagation in fluids?

Several factors can affect wave propagation in fluids, including the density and viscosity of the fluid, the depth or thickness of the fluid, and the properties of the wave itself, such as its amplitude and frequency. Other factors, such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of obstacles, can also influence wave propagation in fluids.

5. Why is studying wave propagation in fluids important?

Understanding wave propagation in fluids is essential in many fields, including oceanography, meteorology, acoustics, and geophysics. It can help us predict and understand natural phenomena, such as weather patterns and earthquakes, and also has practical applications in areas such as communication, transportation, and energy production.