Quantum Mechanics Book and resources on Hilbert Spaces

In summary, the person is currently in a modern physics course and wants to do more advanced study in quantum mechanics before taking a senior-level course. They use Townsend's modern physics book in their current class and are interested in understanding the mathematical formalism of quantum mechanics better. They are considering studying from Ballentine's book, but are unsure if it is appropriate for their level. They have a math background in linear algebra and abstract algebra and will be taking real analysis and topology next semester. They are wondering if there are any good resources to learn about Hilbert spaces at their level or if they should wait until later to study it.
SheikYerbouti
I am currently in a modern physics course and would to do more advanced study in quantum mechanics before taking the senior-level Quantum Mechanics course at my school. We use Townsend's modern physics book for the class that I am in right now; here is a link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1891389629/?tag=pfamazon01-20. I would like to get deeper into quantum mechanics and try to understand the mathematical formalism of it better as well. I have heard that Ballentine is a fairly popular book, but is this something that I would be able to handle at my level? If not, what would be a more appropriate book? In terms of my math background, I have taken linear algebra and am in my first semester of abstract algebra; I will be taking real analysis and topology next semester. Are there any good resources to get into Hilbert spaces that are appropriate for my background, or should I attempt to study Hilbert spaces later?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It provides a mathematical framework for understanding the properties and interactions of these particles, which behave differently than objects at a larger scale.

What is a Hilbert Space?

A Hilbert Space is a mathematical concept that was first introduced by German mathematician David Hilbert in the early 20th century. It is a generalization of the Euclidean space and is used to describe the mathematical properties of quantum systems. In quantum mechanics, the state of a system is represented by a vector in a Hilbert Space.

Why is studying Hilbert Spaces important in quantum mechanics?

Hilbert Spaces are essential for understanding the mathematical foundations of quantum mechanics. They provide a rigorous mathematical framework for describing the states and operators of quantum systems, which allows for accurate predictions and calculations of quantum phenomena. Without Hilbert Spaces, it would be much more difficult to make sense of the strange and counterintuitive behavior of particles at the quantum level.

What are some recommended books and resources for learning about Hilbert Spaces?

Some highly recommended books on Hilbert Spaces in the context of quantum mechanics include "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman, "Quantum Mechanics: Concepts and Applications" by Nouredine Zettili, and "The Quantum Theory of Fields" by Steven Weinberg. Online resources such as lectures and tutorials by renowned physicists like Richard Feynman and Leonard Susskind are also highly valuable for learning about Hilbert Spaces in quantum mechanics.

Are Hilbert Spaces difficult to understand?

Hilbert Spaces can be challenging to grasp at first, as they involve abstract mathematical concepts. However, with patience and practice, they can be understood by anyone with a solid foundation in mathematics and physics. There are many resources available, both online and in print, that can help make Hilbert Spaces more accessible for those interested in learning about quantum mechanics.