Where Can I Find High-Quality Geometry Tools for Long-Lasting Use?

In summary, when it comes to finding great compass, protractor, and ruler brands for learning geometry, it is not necessary to invest in expensive tools. In fact, simple and affordable options such as clear plastic rulers and basic compasses can be just as effective. However, if you are looking for high-quality, well-engineered tools, Keuffel & Esser sets are highly recommended and can often be found on eBay at a reasonable price. While Alvin sets may be more readily available, their workmanship and materials may not be on par with the K&E sets.
TitoSmooth
What are great compass, protractor and ruler brands for geometry? I want to learn geometry properly and I need to invest in some tools. Price is not an issue if the tools will last many years

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh well, they would be my tools right here and I'll sell them to you for an easy million :D

You don't need high precision tools unless you want to become a draftsman - and these days they use computers.

To learn geometry, you just need a compass and a straight edge - and they don't need to be fancy.
You can even make them yourself.

The cheap clear plastic rulers you get in a supermarket are excellent.
They probably sell several types of compass too.

You can find very nice Keuffel & Esser compass and drafting sets on eBay for no more than you'd spend to buy a new set of Alvin drafting tools and the quality of the K&E items is generally superior to the modern items. There's nothing like the tactile feedback of using a well engineered compass while exploring geometric constructions.

xristy said:
You can find very nice Keuffel & Esser compass and drafting sets on eBay for no more than you'd spend to buy a new set of Alvin drafting tools and the quality of the K&E items is generally superior to the modern items. There's nothing like the tactile feedback of using a well engineered compass while exploring geometric constructions.

Little worried about the rust on these lol. If they show rust how do I get them into pristine condition?

I was looking at the Alvin compass. Anyngood.? It's the one listed for 25 dollars on amazon.

What are quality rulers? 45 triangles and protractors?

I have bought a set for $18 that had no rust at all. I also have an Alvin set and the workmanship and materials are not in the same league as the K&E sets from yester-year. As for other tools you can find them on eBay as well. Since the dominance of computer drafting the market for quality drafting tools has dried up and it is somewhat a curiosity to acquire old tools.

1. What are the essential tools for geometry?

The essential tools for geometry include a straightedge, compass, ruler, protractor, and a calculator. These tools are used to draw and measure geometric shapes and angles.

2. Can I use a protractor to measure angles accurately?

Yes, a protractor is specifically designed to measure angles accurately. It has a semicircular shape with markings that allow you to measure angles up to 180 degrees.

3. Do I need a special type of ruler for geometry?

No, any standard ruler with centimeter and millimeter markings can be used for geometry. However, a clear and transparent ruler may be helpful for precise measurement.

4. Can I use a compass to draw circles of any size?

Yes, a compass can be adjusted to draw circles of various sizes. It has two arms, one with a sharp point and the other with a pencil or pen. You can change the distance between the arms to draw circles of different sizes.

5. Is a calculator necessary for geometry?

While a calculator is not essential for basic geometry, it can be helpful for more complex calculations and solving equations involving geometric shapes and measurements.