What is the range of angles for total internal reflection in glass?

In summary, when light travels from air to a denser medium it will refract towards the normal, creating a perfect image in the mirror.
nst.john
1. Light traveling in air strikes a glass surface with n = 1.48. For what range of angles will total internal reflection occur?

2. sinΘc = n2/n1

3. I did this equation with air as n2 and glass as n1 and then got Θc=42.5°. After that I subtracted that from the normal (90°) and got 47.5°. Is this the right way to approach this? Just for the record this is for AP Physics B so no calculus should be used. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
The question seems to have it backwards. It says " Light traveling in air strikes a glass". Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Why are you subtracting if from 90°?

I did that because from air to glass it makes the sin then not exist. So switched it and because I switched it I then subtracted the 90 degrees.

Switching it changes the question (which may or may not be necessary. May be the original question has a typo. May be not).
Subtracting from 90° makes no sense.

Last edited:
So what should I do?

nst.john said:
So what should I do?

Go back to the original phrasing of the problem and the original equation,

[tex] \sin \left( \theta_c \right) = \frac{n_2}{n_1} [/tex]
Now the light starts off in the glass. So what's the original index of refraction, [itex] n_1 [/itex] or [itex] n_2 [/itex] ?

nst.john said:
So what should I do?

Nothing. You're done. If you conclude there was no typo then, as you said, there is no sinθ, and if there is a typo than you already solved it in the OP, except that you shouldn't subtract your answer from 90°. There is no reason to do that.

Ok. Cool then. Thanks a lot

light refracts towards the normal when it travels from a rearer medium to a denser medium so how can we see a perfect image in the mirror it also consits of glass? please answer as fast as possible

Sayed Fahad said:
light refracts towards the normal when it travels from a rearer medium to a denser medium so how can we see a perfect image in the mirror it also consits of glass? please answer as fast as possible
What will happen when it again go out to air? (From a high dense to low dense medium?)
Can you answer this question?

The ray will bend away from the medium

But sir there will be a difference as the ray will reflect back from where it is incident.

Ooooooooh. Ok I got it now. Thanks for everything

1. What is total internal reflection?

Total internal reflection is the phenomenon in which a ray of light that travels through a medium with a higher refractive index encounters a boundary with a medium of a lower refractive index and is completely reflected back into the original medium. This occurs when the angle of incidence is greater than the critical angle, which is determined by the refractive indices of the two media.

2. How does total internal reflection occur?

Total internal reflection occurs due to the difference in refractive indices between two mediums. When a ray of light travels from a medium with a higher refractive index to a medium with a lower refractive index, it will be bent away from the normal. If the angle of incidence is increased, there will be a certain point where the angle of refraction will reach 90 degrees, and the ray will no longer be able to pass through the boundary. This is when total internal reflection occurs.

3. What are some real-world applications of total internal reflection?

Total internal reflection has many practical applications. Some examples include optical fibers used in telecommunication systems, reflective prism used in binoculars and periscopes, and the functioning of diamond as a gemstone due to its high refractive index and ability to create total internal reflection.

4. What factors affect total internal reflection?

The critical angle, which determines whether total internal reflection will occur, is affected by the refractive indices of the two mediums, as well as the wavelength of light. Additionally, the surface roughness of the boundary between the two mediums can also affect the occurrence of total internal reflection.

5. Can total internal reflection occur with other forms of energy besides light?

Yes, total internal reflection can occur with other forms of energy, such as sound waves and water waves. In these cases, it is referred to as total internal reflection of waves. However, the conditions for total internal reflection may differ depending on the properties of the medium and the type of wave.