What is the Tension in a Hammock with a 150lb Person and 40° and 20° Angles?

• Thread starter in10sivkid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, the problem involves finding the tension in two ropes supporting a person lying in a hammock. The angles of the ropes to the horizontal are given and the weight of the person is known. To solve the problem, the vertical and horizontal components of the tensions must be considered, along with the condition for equilibrium. This results in two equations with two unknowns, which can be solved using algebra or geometric methods.
in10sivkid
hi I have this homework problem where I don't know how to approach it.

A person weight 150lbs lies in a hammock. the rope at the person's head makes an angle of 40 with the horizontal, while the rope at the persons feet makes an angle of 20. find the tension in the two ropes.

Physics news on Phys.org
in10sivkid said:
hi I have this homework problem where I don't know how to approach it.

A person weight 150lbs lies in a hammock. the rope at the person's head makes an angle of 40 with the horizontal, while the rope at the persons feet makes an angle of 20. find the tension in the two ropes.

You can model this problem as three strings and a weight hanging from the central string with the other two tied off at the specified angles. The details of the curvature of the hammock under the person are of no consequence to computing the tension in the end ropes. Can you do the simpler looking problem?

ok i had that drawn. this is my first time posting so i should have been a little bit more specific where i was stuck. so what is the mathematical relationship between the weight of the person and the two angles made. do i break it down into the vertical components?

You're going to end up with two equations with two unknowns. Break the tension forces into vertical and horizontal components. Once you get the equations for the component directions, substitute the term for the overall tension back into get your two unknowns and then solve.

ok i did that i tried to do a relationship that was similar in another problem that I had and I tried to do it like this

for example i took the rope with the angle that was 20 degrees and tried this
T2Sin20 - T1 = 0 = T2Sin20 - W

so T2sin20 = W
T2 = w/sin20 = 2.92 W

but that was nowhere near the answer...this worked when one of the ropes was in the horizontal.

I think i need some more guidance on this problem :-/

in10sivkid said:
ok i did that i tried to do a relationship that was similar in another problem that I had and I tried to do it like this

for example i took the rope with the angle that was 20 degrees and tried this

so T2sin20 = W
T2 = w/sin20 = 2.92 W

but that was nowhere near the answer...this worked when one of the ropes was in the horizontal.

I think i need some more guidance on this problem :-/

We need to agree on notation. It looks like you are calling T2 the tension in the string at 20 degrees. Then let T1 be the tension in the string at 40 degrees. Both of these have vertical components, and the sum of their vertical components must support the weight. What can you say about their horizontal components?

i am thinking that the sum of the horizontal components would equal zero because they cancel one another out.

so T1cos40 + T2Cos40 = 0

or am I wrong?

how do i apply these concepts mathematically?

in10sivkid said:
i am thinking that the sum of the horizontal components would equal zero because they cancel one another out.
You are correct.

in10sivkid said:
so T1cos40 + T2Cos40 = 0
Almost. They'll be in opposite directions so their signs will be opposite.

in10sivkid said:
how do i apply these concepts mathematically?
You just did.

in10sivkid said:
Like OlderDan said, you got T2 in terms of the vertical component, but you didn't the same for T1.

ok ok things are starting to come together...kinda

so with my mathematical relationship for the vertical components of

T2 = W/sin20
T1 = w/sin40

would that be the answer of the tension OR just the tension in the y direction

because when I calculate this
T2 = 438
T1 = 233
and the answers should be 132 and 162 lb...so that doesn't look right at all

...do i have to find out what the tension is in the horizontal component and then find the resultant of the two using pythageoreans theorem...or am i just getting off track now :).

also I'm a bit confused to do with my other relationship of

T2Cos20 - T1Cos40 = O

please I'm still stuck...more help would be appreciated!

This is a classic in Statics. It's 2 equations and 2 unknowns problem, simply do the sum of forces in y and x, or you could use the parellogram and the law of sin and solve it geometrically and faster.

Solving it with sum of forces.

[tex] \sum F_{x} = T_{2} \cos 20 - T_{1} \cos 40 = 0 [/tex]

[tex] \sum F_{y} = T_{2} \sin 20 + T_{1} \sin 40 - W_{g} = 0 [/tex]

in10sivkid said:
ok ok things are starting to come together...kinda

so with my mathematical relationship for the vertical components of

T2 = W/sin20
T1 = w/sin40
This is incorrect. Instead, realize that in order for the man to be in balance, the vertical components of tensions must add up to be equal to the weight.

What is the vertical component of T2? of T1? Then write the condition for vertical equilibrium (which I just stated above).

This will give you an equation in terms of T1 and T2. In order to solve for T1 and T2, you'll need another equation. The one for the horizontal components.

also I'm a bit confused to do with my other relationship of

T2Cos20 - T1Cos40 = O
That's the second equation you'll need.

alright guys got that ...makes sense

but i think its the having of the 2 unknowns that is really killing me..I haven't used algebra in a while.

so my equations for the vertical is

.34T2 + .64T1 = Wg

how now do i manipulate this to find the values of T1 and T2?

oh wait...do i solve this as a system of equations and use like the 2nd equaiton of
T2Cos20 - T1Cos40 = O and re-arrange that in terms of T1 and T2 and use that to substitute into the first equation??

OMG IT MAKES SENSE NOW!

I solved it!
thanks everyone!

1. What is the tension of a hammock?

The tension of a hammock refers to the amount of force or pull that is applied to the hammock fabric when it is hung. It is important to have the correct tension in order for the hammock to provide a comfortable and safe resting place.

2. How do I determine the tension of my hammock?

The tension of a hammock can be determined by measuring the distance between the two ends of the hammock when it is hung and applying a weight or force to the center of the hammock. The ideal tension will depend on the type of hammock and the weight of the person using it.

3. What factors affect the tension of a hammock?

The tension of a hammock can be affected by several factors, including the length and material of the hammock, the distance between the two hanging points, the weight of the person using it, and the angle at which the hammock is hung.

4. What happens if the tension of a hammock is too high or too low?

If the tension of a hammock is too high, it can cause the fabric to stretch and become uncomfortable to lie in. If the tension is too low, the hammock may sag too much and not provide enough support. Both scenarios can also put unnecessary strain on the hammock and potentially lead to damage.

5. How can I adjust the tension of my hammock?

The tension of a hammock can be adjusted by either changing the distance between the two hanging points, adding or removing weight from the center of the hammock, or adjusting the angle at which the hammock is hung. It may take some trial and error to find the perfect tension for your hammock.