Photo Contest - O' Christmas Tree, O' Christmas Tree (12/7-12/13)

In summary, a digital photo or digitally-scanned photo of a christmas tree is accepted within the contest period. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels, crop your picture if you wish, and add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes. Only one picture per member is allowed, and at the end of the contest period, a poll will be opened in which every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
O' Christmas Tree, O' Christmas Tree

It is that time of the year where evergreen trees are decorated and lit. Your photo for this contest must have, as the main subject, one or more christmas trees. The tree may or may not be decorated.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a grey area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. But other than that, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
Merry Christmas Everyone!

317441939_e3fbfff4ef.jpg

Five days have past, only one picture has been posted?
Personally I haven't seen a single christmas tree yet this year..

Looks like larkspur is ahead in the races, beating out the other contenders by a hair!

I'm surprised we're not getting a lot of entries on here.

Zz.

I need to scan all my old christmas photos in and my scanner is not connected anymore.

I wish I had the picture of when the tree fell on top of me. I'm lying spread eagled on the floor completely covered by branches head to foot. :frown: You can see an arm sticking out from under the tree.

... and who took the picture? One of your kids?

:)

Zz.

I wasn't sure if I should use one of the pictures of the many Christmas trees I took in January at WDW, or use the picture of the Disney tree we have here at home... I end up using the picture of our 2nd tree out by the sitting room. So here it is... and it took only 2 days to decorate it.

IMG_6046.jpg

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
... and who took the picture? One of your kids?

Zz.
I don't know who took it. Spawn did have her Mutant Ninja Turtle camera back then. Yes, I have many pictures of me taken from a height of two feet pointing straight up my nose, lovely.

ZapperZ said:
I wasn't sure if I should use one of the pictures of the many Christmas trees I took in January at WDW, or use the picture of the Disney tree we have here at home... I end up using the picture of our 2nd tree out by the sitting room. So here it is... and it took only 2 days to decorate it.

IMG_6046.jpg

Zz.
Wow! :approve:

I wish the 'christmas tree' of sorts I found in the middle of a windswept moorland hadn't already been entered for a competition..

:bugeye: :eek: I want a tree like that!

tree1.jpg

My poor little Charlie Brown tree..which the animals have knocked over several times...and it is now wired to the deer head.

The deer-topper is a nice touch.

- Warren

chroot said:
The deer-topper is a nice touch.

- Warren

:rofl: That's what I thought it was until I read the comment below it. :rofl:

I have to post a picture of my tree from last year, because this year's is pretty pathetic (it's only decorated in cheap plastic ornaments attached with twist ties that the cat is STILL getting off it :grumpy:).

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/7540/christmastree05ab6.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Moonbear said:
:rofl: That's what I thought it was until I read the comment below it. :rofl:

Me too, lol. I immediately laughed when I saw the deer head. :rofl:

Okay, here's our tree from this year.
(Ivan, please note the Joulupukki in its place of honor at the base of the tree.)

http://home.earthlink.net/~parvey/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/xmas.jpg [Broken]

I like the little reindeer guy at the bottom of your tree.

- Warren

chroot said:
I like the little reindeer guy at the bottom of your tree.

- Warren

That's no reindeer, that's a Joulupukki!

A jujuhoopa, of course! I feel so foolish! :redface:

- Warren

Very nice trees so far. My christmas tree this year is a little tree i cut out of a 5 inch green flashcard and pasted on top of a candle so I had something to put the presents i bought around...lol.

All of the trees look very good so far. I feel left out, I don't have a tree either :cry: . I guess scorpa's story makes me feel a bit better. :smile: Very creative.

We didn't put ours up till christmas eve last year. With no kids there seems little point but looks rather odd to visitors as though we're scrooges. That tends to be compounded when I offer them some of my favourite seasonal ale Bah Humbug. :smile:

As a reminder, you have 2 days left to post a picture in this contest. C'mon, there has to be a lot Christmas trees around at this time of the year!

Zz.

hypatia said:
tree1.jpg

My poor little Charlie Brown tree..which the animals have knocked over several times...and it is now wired to the deer head.

Wow! If you hung it from the ceiling, it would at least look straight. Or maybe not - is your house located on a hill? :rofl: :rofl:

lol Bob, it was straight when I put it up. I woke up durring the night, and went to get a drink of water, when I noticed one of the cats had climbed the tree and was sitting on top of the deer. They are indoor cats, so this is something really new for them.

We haven't got our tree up yet this so I took a walk and borrowed a neighbors yard decoration.
http://home.comcast.net/~Integral50/HPIM0438a.JPG [Broken]

Kurdt said:
We didn't put ours up till christmas eve last year.

My parents used to make us wait until the weekend before Christmas to put ours up. Now, being the rebellious child I am, I put mine up as soon as Thanksgiving is over.

Mine looks about as straight as hypatia's, thanks to the cat. It's a fake tree, so she also manages to knock branches loose that need to be reattached every few days. I'm wondering if next year I should get a live tree...a good, prickly, sticky blue spruce...that should stop her from climbing it, right? :uhh:

Moonbear said:
Mine looks about as straight as hypatia's, thanks to the cat. It's a fake tree, so she also manages to knock branches loose that need to be reattached every few days. I'm wondering if next year I should get a live tree...a good, prickly, sticky blue spruce...that should stop her from climbing it, right? :uhh:
No, but it will ensure that she will deposit the pitch everywhere until she has encountered enough dust to coat it. :grumpy:

In order not to waste perfectly good trees, my wife and I bought a very realistic fake tree. We didn't install the very lowest set of branches when we had ferrets, and that worked kind of OK until we got Taz. He loved to jump and climb and fancied himself a pretty good-looking tree-topper. He didn't knock the tree over, but he managed to trash a few ornaments. We haven't had a tree since then (fake or real). Our decoration is usually limited to a nice hand-made wreath on the front door.

Merry Christmas! :smile:

http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/8853/treetu1.jpg [Broken]

turbo-1 said:
No, but it will ensure that she will deposit the pitch everywhere until she has encountered enough dust to coat it. :grumpy:
:rofl: Thanks for the warning. I thought the needles might at least make a good cat comb and relieve me of some grooming assistance for a while.

We didn't install the very lowest set of branches when we had ferrets, and that worked kind of OK until we got Taz. He loved to jump and climb and fancied himself a pretty good-looking tree-topper.
I wish that would work with Ember, but she doesn't just climb up the tree from the bottom, she DIVES in from any nearby surface...the sofa, the TV, the CD racks. :grumpy: Hasn't toppled it...yet...but she is still trying to claim all the ornaments as toys. :rolleyes:

Moonbear said:
:rofl: Thanks for the warning. I thought the needles might at least make a good cat comb and relieve me of some grooming assistance for a while.
Nope. Cats do not like sticky stuff on them and will actively try to scrub it off on anything handy, like your favorite easy chair or your bed. Spruce pitch is very sticky and your cat will not like the taste of it, and so will not try to groom it off with tongue-washing. Your belongings will take the brunt of the cleaning.

Moonbear said:
I wish that would work with Ember, but she doesn't just climb up the tree from the bottom, she DIVES in from any nearby surface...the sofa, the TV, the CD racks. :grumpy: Hasn't toppled it...yet...but she is still trying to claim all the ornaments as toys. :rolleyes:
It didn't work with Taz, either. He would choose anything that he thought was close enough (a love-seat, sofa, or chair) and launch himself at the tree. We weren't smart enough to have fastened the ornaments with twist-ties, and we lost a few to impact damage as he explored the tree. I should have known. We got him as a kit, and I was working at home one day and my hat fell on the floor. The coat-rack was located over a furnace heater vent, so I figured that the updraft from the vent knocked my hat off. I went over and picked it up, and went to put it on top of the rack, and there was little Taz on top of the rack. He apparently had jumped high enough to grab the bottom of my wife's long wool coat, and then climbed to the top of the rack "just because". A previous ferret named Pancho (cute albino male) was a good jumper, too, but his big talent was zippers. If you set down anything with a zipper on it, he would open it in seconds. My wife used to come home after work with a young co-worker and they would work out together in our home gym. Lisa often just tossed her gym-bag on the floor, and we would have to scour the house trying to find her underwear, her clean socks, her car keys, etc. Ferrets love to steal and they hide everything they take. Pancho once opened my cousin's purse he and his co-conspirators stole her savings pass-book, check-book, and wallet. She got home with her keys, etc intact, and then discovered the next day that some stuff was missing. She came over and we found her stuff distributed in some places where the ferrets did not normally hide things. I told her that we taught them to "go for the green" :biggrin:

Last edited:
turbo-1 said:
We weren't smart enough to have fastened the ornaments with twist-ties, and we lost a few to impact damage as he explored the tree.

I thought I was smart to think of that, but it doesn't work either. I forgot that cats LOVE to play with twist ties. It just makes the game more challenging. :rolleyes:

<h2>1. What is the theme of the photo contest?</h2><p>The theme of the photo contest is "O' Christmas Tree, O' Christmas Tree". We are looking for photos that capture the beauty and spirit of Christmas trees.</p><h2>2. Who can participate in the photo contest?</h2><p>The photo contest is open to anyone who loves photography and wants to showcase their skills. It is not limited to professional photographers.</p><h2>3. How many photos can I submit for the contest?</h2><p>You can submit up to 3 photos for the contest. However, we encourage you to choose your best photo that fits the theme.</p><h2>4. How will the winner be selected?</h2><p>The winner will be selected by a panel of judges based on creativity, composition, and adherence to the theme. The decision of the judges will be final.</p><h2>5. What is the deadline for submitting photos?</h2><p>The deadline for submitting photos is December 13th. Any submissions after this date will not be considered for the contest.</p>

1. What is the theme of the photo contest?

The theme of the photo contest is "O' Christmas Tree, O' Christmas Tree". We are looking for photos that capture the beauty and spirit of Christmas trees.

2. Who can participate in the photo contest?

The photo contest is open to anyone who loves photography and wants to showcase their skills. It is not limited to professional photographers.

3. How many photos can I submit for the contest?

You can submit up to 3 photos for the contest. However, we encourage you to choose your best photo that fits the theme.

4. How will the winner be selected?

The winner will be selected by a panel of judges based on creativity, composition, and adherence to the theme. The decision of the judges will be final.

5. What is the deadline for submitting photos?

The deadline for submitting photos is December 13th. Any submissions after this date will not be considered for the contest.