Just downloaded and installed Ubuntu

• Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ubuntu
In summary, God recommends using Linux over Windows XP because it is easier to use and doesn't require virus scanners or adware removal. He also notes that the fan in his computer runs constantly when he uses Ubuntu, but this may not be a problem for people with high-powered graphics cards.
gravenewworld
God I love this Linux OS so far. No need for virus or adware/malware scanners anymore. Very easy to use. I only use this comp for going on the internet/email/and word processing. Who needs windows? I'm never going back to windows again. The only thing is, why does my fan in the computer constantly run when I use ubuntu?

Computer science news on Phys.org
i've seen this on laptops with the included video drivers.
If you have a high power graphics card you might need to install the cards own proprietry drives

see system->hardware drives, and check if says somethign about this driver is not enabled

also go to System->Administration->System Monitor and see if someone is hogging processor time

I've had an issue on a netbook, where it would overheat in 15 minutes when idle, so I guess the fan didn't turn on, or something was running. I updated the BIOS, and its temperature never went up again.

I'm no computer buff so I'm taking my comp to a computer expert to get everything up to date tomorrow. Hopefully he will be able to help streamline my transition from windows to ubuntu. I can't figure out why adobe flash won't install correctly. I'm going to get the guy to update everything, get all the proper drivers, etc.

How lucky you are. I almost changed from windows XP to Ubuntu. The only thing that totally stopped me was that Ubuntu didn't recognize my modem (I use it via USB since my ethernet cable made my computer crashes every 20 minutes due to the blue screen of death. I've even changed my RAM memory because the technician told me so, but we later realized it was due to the ethernet cable). I've been told to try the ethernet cable, but having a blue screen of death appearing every 20 minutes is not nice at all.
Hence Ubuntu... remains a dream for me.

fluidistic said:
How lucky you are. I almost changed from windows XP to Ubuntu. The only thing that totally stopped me was that Ubuntu didn't recognize my modem (I use it via USB since my ethernet cable made my computer crashes every 20 minutes due to the blue screen of death. I've even changed my RAM memory because the technician told me so, but we later realized it was due to the ethernet cable). I've been told to try the ethernet cable, but having a blue screen of death appearing every 20 minutes is not nice at all.
Hence Ubuntu... remains a dream for me.

Go to a friends' house or a library that has a RW cd drive. You can make an Ubuntu CD to use for installation. I believe you can also get one mailed to you.

gravenewworld said:
I can't figure out why adobe flash won't install correctly. I'm going to get the guy to update everything, get all the proper drivers, etc.

If you have an IT guy to tweak your machine, that's great. For adobe flash, or any other software, go to the synaptic packagermanager, find your software, and install, or reinstall if needed.

or do it from the terminal sudo apt-get, but it could be daunting at first.
fluidistic said:
How lucky you are. I almost changed from windows XP to Ubuntu. The only thing that totally stopped me was that Ubuntu didn't recognize my modem (I use it via USB since my ethernet cable made my computer crashes every 20 minutes due to the blue screen of death.

do you use a USB to ethernet converter, or do you connect the modem directly via USB?

I don't think your computer can crash because of the ethernet connection, something else is going on. Did you try reinstalling windows xp?

you may also want to look at your appearance settings and turn off fancy effects, or close any tabs to websites in firefox that are eating up cpu cycles with stupid scripts (see also: adblockplus and noscript).

gravenewworld said:
Go to a friends' house or a library that has a RW cd drive. You can make an Ubuntu CD to use for installation. I believe you can also get one mailed to you.
I already have a CD for installation, I can even install Ubuntu if I want, but I won't have internet...

Try this forum, these guys are experts in Ubuntu and can give really great advice.http://ubuntuforums.org/" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

Question 1: What is Ubuntu?

Ubuntu is a free and open-source operating system based on the Linux kernel. It is designed to be user-friendly and customizable, making it a popular choice for both personal and professional use.

Question 2: How do I download and install Ubuntu?

To download and install Ubuntu, you can follow the instructions on the official Ubuntu website. You can choose to download the ISO file and create a bootable USB drive or DVD, or you can use the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) to install Ubuntu directly on your computer.

Question 3: What are the system requirements for Ubuntu?

The minimum system requirements for Ubuntu are a 2 GHz dual-core processor, 4 GB of RAM, and 25 GB of free disk space. However, for a better experience, it is recommended to have a 64-bit processor, 8 GB of RAM, and 25 GB of free disk space.

Question 4: Can I still use my existing software and files on Ubuntu?

Ubuntu supports a wide range of software and file formats, but some may not be compatible. It is recommended to do some research before switching to Ubuntu to ensure that your essential software and files are supported.

Question 5: Is there any technical support for Ubuntu?

Yes, there is a strong community of Ubuntu users and developers who provide technical support through forums and online resources. You can also purchase professional support from Canonical, the company behind Ubuntu.