How Efficient Is a Solar Panel at Converting Sunlight to Electricity?

In summary, the efficiency of the solar panel, which measures 58 cm x 53 cm and generates 2.7A at 14V when facing the sun, is approximately 12.3%. This was calculated by dividing the power delivered by the panel (37.8 W) by the power delivered by sunlight (307.4 W) and converting it to a percentage. The answer is not 8.13, as the efficiency of a system cannot exceed 100%.
BillJ3986

Homework Statement

A solar panel (an assemblage of solar cells) measures 58 cm x 53 cm. When facing the sun, this panel generates 2.7A at 14V. Sunlight delivers an energy of 1.0 x 10^3 W/m^2 to an area facing it. What is the efficiency of this panel, that is, what fraction of the energy in sunlight is converted into electric energy?

Homework Equations

Am I doing this problem correctly

The Attempt at a Solution

The power delivered by the panel is P(delivered)= I x V= 2.7A x 14V= 37.8 W
For the power delivered by sunlight I multiplied 1.0 x 10^3 W/m^2 by the area of .58m x .53m:
so the area equals .307m^2.
1.0 x 10^3 W/m^2 x .307m^2= 307.4 W delivered by the sun.

So I needed to find the fraction of energy in sunlight that is converted into electric energy. I did that by dividing 37.8W/307.4. The fraction of energy converted is .123 or 12.3%.

Or is the answer 307.4/37.8= 8.13?

I'm not sure which is the right answer or if it I did it correctly please let me know.

Physics news on Phys.org
BillJ3986 said:
So I needed to find the fraction of energy in sunlight that is converted into electric energy. I did that by dividing 37.8W/307.4. The fraction of energy converted is .123 or 12.3%.
Looks good to me.

Or is the answer 307.4/37.8= 8.13?
No, you want the fraction of the energy in the sunlight that is converted to electrical energy. Your first answer was correct. (Efficiency could never be greater that 1 or 100%,)

Thank you.

1. What is energy?

Energy is the ability to do work or cause change. It is a fundamental concept in physics and can take many forms, including mechanical, thermal, electrical, chemical, and nuclear energy.

2. What is Joule heating?

Joule heating, also known as ohmic heating, is the process of heating a conductor by passing an electric current through it. As the current flows through the conductor, it encounters resistance, which causes the temperature of the conductor to increase.

3. How is energy related to Joule heating?

In Joule heating, the energy of the electric current is converted into heat energy. This is due to the conversion of electrical energy to thermal energy as the current passes through the conductor and encounters resistance. The amount of heat produced is directly proportional to the amount of current and the resistance of the conductor.

4. What are some applications of Joule heating?

Joule heating has many practical applications, such as in electric heaters, stoves, and ovens. It is also used in industrial processes, such as welding and metal melting. In addition, Joule heating is used in medical devices, such as electric blankets and heating pads, for therapeutic purposes.

5. How does Joule heating affect the efficiency of a system?

Joule heating can have a negative impact on the efficiency of a system because it is a form of energy loss. As the conductor heats up, some of the electrical energy is converted to heat energy and lost. This means that the system is not utilizing all of the energy it is receiving, resulting in lower efficiency.