Simple questions on solutions concentration and pH

In summary, the conversation includes three questions regarding chemistry. The first question is about calculating the pH of a 5% H2SO4 solution without pH papers and whether a 5% acetic acid solution would have the same pH as a 5% H2SO4 solution. The second question is about the miscibility of a non-polar solvent and ethanol and whether any water traces from the ethanol would stay at the bottom below the non-polar layer. The third question is about diluting or concentrating hydrogen peroxide to make it function as an oxidizing agent like permanganate and what other differences exist between these two agents.
jammon
Hi there, I was wondering if anyone could help me with 3 questions:

1) Without pH papers, how do you calculate the pH of a 5% H2SO4 (sulfuric acid) solution?
I know vinegar is a weak acid, but would a 5% acetic acid have the same pH of a %5 H2So4 solution?

2) If a non-polar solvent such as Hexane is miscible with Ethanol, does that mean that they mix completely? If so, would the water traces from the alcohol stay at the bottom below the Hexane layer?

3) H202 (Hydrogen peroxide) is an oxidizing agent just like Permanganate. I need to replace the later, is it possible to dilute or concentrate Peroxide in order to make it work like Permanganate?
Besides one begin stronger than the other, what other differences are there between these oxidizing agents?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
When you posted, you should have gotten the template for asking homework problems. You need to show your own effort/attempts before anyone will help. We don't do your homework for you here, we help those who are trying to do it themselves to understand it better. Take one question at a time and go back to your class notes and textbook and tell us what relevant information is there to begin with.

jammon said:
Hi there, I was wondering if anyone could help me with 3 questions:

1) Without pH papers, how do you calculate the pH of a 5% H2SO4 (sulfuric acid) solution?
I know vinegar is a weak acid, but would a 5% acetic acid have the same pH of a %5 H2So4 solution?

2) If a non-polar solvent such as Hexane is miscible with Ethanol, does that mean that they mix completely? If so, would the water traces from the alcohol stay at the bottom below the Hexane layer?

3) H202 (Hydrogen peroxide) is an oxidizing agent just like Permanganate. I need to replace the later, is it possible to dilute or concentrate Peroxide in order to make it work like Permanganate?
Besides one begin stronger than the other, what other differences are there between these oxidizing agents?

Thanks

What is a solution?

A solution is a homogeneous mixture of two or more substances, where one substance is dissolved in another. The substance that is dissolved is called the solute and the substance in which it is dissolved is called the solvent.

What is concentration?

Concentration refers to the amount of solute present in a given amount of solvent or solution. It is usually expressed as moles per liter (M), mass per volume (g/L), or percentage (%).

How is concentration calculated?

Concentration can be calculated by dividing the amount of solute by the amount of solvent or solution. For example, if you have 0.5 moles of solute dissolved in 1 liter of solution, the concentration would be 0.5 M.

What is pH?

pH is a measure of the acidity or basicity of a solution. It is based on the concentration of hydrogen ions (H+) present in the solution. A pH of 7 is considered neutral, while values below 7 are acidic and values above 7 are basic.

How is pH measured?

pH can be measured using a pH meter or with pH paper. The pH meter measures the voltage difference between two electrodes in the solution, while pH paper changes color depending on the acidity or basicity of the solution.