What is the Best Saxophone Song?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, some of the best songs are "Baker Street" by Gerry Rafferty, "Guns N Roses, Sweet Child O' Mine." by Axl Rose, "Bruce Springsteen - "tunnel of love"" by Led Zeppelin, "Honor thy Father" by Dream Theater, and "Octavarium" by Dream Theater.
  • #2,381
ThomasT said:
You're welcome. Glad you're feeling better.

The second one is funnier, imo.

Thank you:smile: It did put a giggle in me. Yep feeling much better. My dog's leash wrapped around my leg three times over the course of a week, which resulted in my falls. The little monster! (lol)

jeff1909 said:
I can't post links yet but I would have to go with Stairway to Heaven.

Welcome Jeff to the music thread. Great tune by one of the greatest artists. Led was oh so sweet. I miss him (Jimmy Page). Haven't seen him play live for a while. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,383
ViewsofMars said:
Thank you:smile: It did put a giggle in me. Yep feeling much better. My dog's leash wrapped around my leg three times over the course of a week, which resulted in my falls. The little monster! (lol)
Hopefully you have learned from these experiences. Your injuries have healed. The music remains.

Last edited:
  • #2,384
ThomasT said:
Hopefully you have learned from these experiences. Your injuries have healed. The music remains.

NO the injuries aren't healed quite yet, I sprained both ankles. It takes a while to heal. The dog is a 70 plus pound puppy. Yes, the music remains since I've been to many concerts throughout my lifetime. I personally know many musicians and went to oodles of concerts. Lucky me got to go backstage. :biggrin: Take care dear Thomas. Best wishes coming your way ~ ~ ~

• #2,385
ViewsofMars said:
NO the injuries aren't healed quite yet, I sprained both ankles. It takes a while to heal.
Wow, both ankles, yeah that's rough.

ViewsofMars said:
The dog is a 70 plus pound puppy.
A 70+ lb puppy? Yeah, that's a big doggy.

Best wishes and hope you heal soon. Post some music you especially like here.

• #2,386
Especially for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #2,387
phylotree said:
Especially for you.
This is really well done and pretty pop music, but not in any way special wrt the spectrum of all music, imho. It's just my opinion, and, as they say, no accounting for that ... no offense intended. I was able to listen to the whole thing. Will I ever listen to it again? No. At least, not on purpose. But thanks for posting.

• #2,388
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8ybDbcrWVM#!

• #2,389
FrancisZ said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8ybDbcrWVM#!
I love this. Donovan is associated with a remarkable time in the evolution of American music, imo. Thanks for posting.

Last edited:
  • #2,391
Another tune from that era (late '60s):

• #2,392

• #2,393

• #2,394
ThomasT said:
Another tune from that era (late '60s):

Thanks for that link T_T. It brought back fond memories. I don't know Stills, but I feel that I grew up with him. Jim Messina is another. I had hardly any money as a teen, and had to save that precious little for college, but I managed to salvage a bit to buy some albums that I "needed" to keep body and soul together. I could keep CSN and Poco on a continuous loop on my stereo...

• #2,395
turbo said:
Thanks for that link T_T. It brought back fond memories. I don't know Stills, but I feel that I grew up with him. Jim Messina is another. I had hardly any money as a teen, and had to save that precious little for college, but I managed to salvage a bit to buy some albums that I "needed" to keep body and soul together. I could keep CSN and Poco on a continuous loop on my stereo...
Glad you enjoyed it turbo... it brings back memories for me too. Travelling across the US to California in '67. It was on the radio. It still sounds good to me today.

The two pieces I posted after that, by Ralph Vaughan Williams, are, imo, two of the greatest pieces of music ever written. I remember listening to them as a kid and being moved in a way that pop/rock music just didn't do.

Last edited:
  • #2,397
TJTayAiygRo&feature=related[/youtube] The video isn't great but the music is decent enough.

• #2,398
Who Got The Hooch?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBp7lqoyrok

• #2,400
Anything by Murray Gold. Example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmUKjvpDKnE

• #2,401
Katy Perry's song rocks :-). I love the way her songs portrayed or being base on real life scenarios

• #2,402
Check the OP. You're supposed to link to a soundtrack, presenting your choice of the best song ever.

I searched the thread for Vincent of Don McLean but nothing came up, so to make sure we don't miss the everest of greenest evergreen.

• #2,403
Andre said:
I searched the thread for Vincent of Don McLean but nothing came up, so to make sure we don't miss the everest of greenest evergreen.

I think I have posted that before. It IS one of my absolute favorites.

• #2,404
RIP Robin.

• #2,406
Olana, by Marc Cohn. Celebrating Frederic Edwin Church. He was the highest-selling living painter of his day, and was eventually laid low by rheumatoid arthritis, and had to switch hands, which greatly reduced his output, and likely in his mind the quality of his work. He spent his later years designing and overseeing the construction of this house on the Hudson River.

• #2,407
turbo said:
Olana, by Marc Cohn. Celebrating Frederic Edwin Church. He was the highest-selling living painter of his day, and was eventually laid low by rheumatoid arthritis, and had to switch hands, which greatly reduced his output, and likely in his mind the quality of his work. He spent his later years designing and overseeing the construction of this house on the Hudson River.

I'm listening to this song now. Beautiful, imho. Great piano stuff, lyric, vocal, arrangement. Never heard it before. Thanks for posting turbo.

• #2,408
ThomasT said:
I'm listening to this song now. Beautiful, imho. Great piano stuff, lyric, vocal, arrangement. Never heard it before. Thanks for posting turbo.
Olana is maintained as a public resource, like a park, and is available for people wanting to tour the property, explore the grounds, or just to visit the buildings. "Final masterpiece" is quite apt.

• #2,411

• #2,414
ThomasT said:

Beethoven is my favorite composer. Symphonies 3.5,6,7 and 9 as well as some others like the Moonlight Sonata and the Egmont Overture are my particular favorites. Most people single out the third movement of the 9th symphony, but I actually like this movement better. There's a strange short piece of the main theme of the second movement that occurs the third. It really sounds like it doesn't belong there. Was Beethoven being "cute", was it a mistake by someone else, or does this have some deep significance? Beethoven was completely deaf when he wrote this symphony. so is it possible it's his or someone else's mistake? However, I'm sure he would have noticed it in the score. He conducted the first performance himself, but fell behind the music. He was reportedly still waving his wand when the orchestra had finished. Thanks for posting.

• #2,415
@ SW VandeCarr,
Thanks for the comments. Always enlightening.