Is it safe to use an ozone generator while inside with pets?

In summary, the individual purchased a used sectional from a smoker and hired a professional cleaner to remove the smoke smell. The cleaner left an Ozone generator for a week but the individual has concerns about its potential harm to themselves and their pets. They are wondering if it is safe to use for a few hours each day for a week while they are inside and if they need to stay outside after turning it off. Another person shares their experience using an industrial strength ozone generator and advises against using it in an occupied room. They also provide information on exposure limits and safety precautions for ozone.
idontcarejust
Hello. I hope this is the right place.

A few days ago I purchased a nice sectional off craigslist that belonged to a smoker (I bought it because it's very nice and expensive but was cheap for that reason).

I hired a professional cleaner who gave it an initial treatment that helped but there is still a smoke smell left. He has left me his Ozone generator for a week while he's on vacation. I believe this is the same model: https://www.activtek.net/CatalogProduct.aspx?ProductId=US50105B [Broken]

I live in a ~900 square foot 1bedroom apartment and I have two cats. He told me that it was fine for me to run this generator while we're all inside. I double checked that online and I'm finding reports that these can be quite harmful.

First, would using it for a few hours each day for a week cause any problems? Or is the danger of these machines something that happens after prolonged exposure?

Do I need to run this while my cats and I are not inside? If so, how long do I need to stay outside after turning off the generator?

I had planned on keeping my cats outside on my porch while I ran the generator for a few hours each day but my cats are inside cats so they freak out when I tried to keep them outside. I'm interested in learning if the cleaner was correct and that minimal exposure over just one week is truly harmless.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
idontcarejust said:
First, would using it for a few hours each day for a week cause any problems? Or is the danger of these machines something that happens after prolonged exposure?

Do I need to run this while my cats and I are not inside? If so, how long do I need to stay outside after turning off the generator?

I was in the unfortunate position of using such an industrial strength ozone generator to deodorize some smoke damaged artifacts a few years ago. I put the artifacts, furniture and such, in a room, sealed it with tape and ran the generator for a few days, and achieved some positive results. I would not run such a machine for any length of time in an occupied room. There are small, light duty ozone generators that are safe for continuous operation in occupied rooms, but these will have only a small effect on your problem of a smoker afflicted room. Repainting the walls and ceiling might be a good approach.

Respectfully,
Steve

Ozone isn't something to mess with. Guidance note EH38 from the UK Health and Safety Executive (from http://www.coronasupplies.co.uk/downloads/Ozone Health and Precautionary Measures.pdf) says:
The recommended exposure limit for ozone is 0.1ppm (0.2mg/m³) calculated as an 8-
hour time-weighted average concentration. There is also a short-term exposure limit for
ozone of 0.3ppm (0.6mg/m³) calculated as a 15-minute time-weighted average concentration.

THe link to your machine doesn't seem to say how much it produces, but it does say
The Ozone Blaster is intended only for use in unoccupied spaces and should never be allowed to blow directly into the face of a person or pet.
I would take that as meaning EXACTLY what it says.

What is an ozone generator and how does it work?

An ozone generator is a device that produces ozone gas, which is a highly reactive molecule containing three oxygen atoms. It works by using high voltage or ultraviolet light to split oxygen molecules (O2) into individual oxygen atoms (O). These oxygen atoms then combine with other oxygen molecules to form ozone (O3).

Is ozone harmful to humans?

In high concentrations, ozone can be harmful to humans. It can cause respiratory irritation, coughing, chest pain, and shortness of breath. Long-term exposure to high levels of ozone can also lead to permanent lung damage. However, at low levels, ozone is not harmful and is actually beneficial as it can help purify the air.

Are ozone generators safe to use in homes and other indoor spaces?

Ozone generators can be safe to use in homes and indoor spaces if they are used properly and in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions. However, it is important to note that ozone can be harmful to certain individuals, such as those with respiratory issues or allergies, and should be used with caution or avoided altogether in these cases.

What precautions should be taken when using an ozone generator?

When using an ozone generator, it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions carefully. This may include wearing protective gear, ensuring proper ventilation, and avoiding direct exposure to the ozone. It is also recommended to use the ozone generator in unoccupied spaces and to allow time for the ozone to dissipate before re-entering the area.

Are there any alternative methods for air purification that are safer than ozone generators?

Yes, there are alternative methods for air purification that do not produce ozone and are considered safer. These include using HEPA filters, activated carbon filters, and UV light air purifiers. It is important to research and choose an air purification method that is suitable for your specific needs and environment.