Omega effect: turning poloidal magnetic field into toroidal field

In summary: I get it. So the poloidal magnetic field becomes toroidal due to differential rotation and the inertia of mass.
Aziza
Could someone please explain exactly how the omega effect works? It is supposed to explain how a poloidal magnetic field (of the sun for example, or a black hole accretion disk) becomes toroidal. This is supposed to be due to differential rotation and the inertia of mass. But I just don't see how this can cause field lines to twist into helix...if anyone knows a good reference regarding this subject I would appreciate it, I can't find anything detailed!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Do you have an example of where you heard of this? The terms don't even make sense to me in this context, though I'm no expert on the subject.

justsomeguy said:
Do you have an example of where you heard of this? The terms don't even make sense to me in this context, though I'm no expert on the subject.

I have attached a picture as it applies to AGN. Also link to solar dynamo:
http://solarscience.msfc.nasa.gov/dynamo.shtml

Attachments

• twistingfield.png
    twistingfield.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 517
Aziza said:
Could someone please explain exactly how the omega effect works? It is supposed to explain how a poloidal magnetic field (of the sun for example, or a black hole accretion disk) becomes toroidal. This is supposed to be due to differential rotation and the inertia of mass. But I just don't see how this can cause field lines to twist into helix...if anyone knows a good reference regarding this subject I would appreciate it, I can't find anything detailed!

I've never heard this name. I do know that in (most? all?) heavenly bodies both purely poloidal and purely toroidal orbits are unstable. Either will decay into a mixed field, and eventually the energy will be divided evenly between the two. It was discovered in 1970 or so. The argument is simple but I never tried to understand it. There is a professor in Bonn named Jonathan Braithwaite who has some presentations about this, with all the detail you might care for.

Last edited:
ImaLooser said:
I've never heard this name. I do know that in (most? all?) heavenly bodies both purely poloidal and purely toroidal orbits are unstable. Either will decay into a mixed field, and eventually the energy will be divided evenly between the two. It was discovered in 1970 or so. The argument is simple but I never tried to understand it. The is a professor in Bonn named Jonathan Braithwaite who has some presentations about this, with all the detail you might care for.

I think he's asking the "how" or "why" the magnetic field becomes "wrapped" around the sun. The terminology seemed a bit strange to me, for sure, but if I can reword it, I think this is what he was getting at:

Imagine the sun is a stationary bar magnet. The magnetic field lines are arranged the normal way. As you start to spin the bar magnet, at first the lines rotate with it, but as the pace picks up, the lines start to bend and 'wrap around' the magnet (the sun) until, eventually, any particular field line leaves the pole, wraps around the northern hemisphere a bunch of times in one direction, reverses at the equator, and then unwraps the same number of times before diving into the south pole.

Why/how this happens is a mystery to me as well. I've read the explanation, but I lack the background to really grasp what's happening.

Of course I could be completely wrong in describing the OPs question.

justsomeguy said:
I think he's asking the "how" or "why" the magnetic field becomes "wrapped" around the sun. The terminology seemed a bit strange to me, for sure, but if I can reword it, I think this is what he was getting at:

Imagine the sun is a stationary bar magnet. The magnetic field lines are arranged the normal way. As you start to spin the bar magnet, at first the lines rotate with it, but as the pace picks up, the lines start to bend and 'wrap around' the magnet (the sun) until, eventually, any particular field line leaves the pole, wraps around the northern hemisphere a bunch of times in one direction, reverses at the equator, and then unwraps the same number of times before diving into the south pole.

Why/how this happens is a mystery to me as well. I've read the explanation, but I lack the background to really grasp what's happening.

Of course I could be completely wrong in describing the OPs question.

Aha. Well, when you have a magnetic field in a highly conductive environment then the flux tends to get "frozen" to the conductive medium. That is, they move together as one and wherever one goes the other goes too. So if you have a differentially rotating sun, then the flux tends to get twisted like a barber pole.

ImaLooser said:
Aha. Well, when you have a magnetic field in a highly conductive environment then the flux tends to get "frozen" to the conductive medium. That is, they move together as one and wherever one goes the other goes too. So if you have a differentially rotating sun, then the flux tends to get twisted like a barber pole.

ohh so it is sufficient to just prove that flux is frozen into plasma in order to see why field lines can get twisted, right?

Aziza said:
ohh so it is sufficient to just prove that flux is frozen into plasma in order to see why field lines can get twisted, right?

I guess. My understanding is superficial.

What is the Omega effect?

The Omega effect is a physical phenomenon in which the poloidal magnetic field of a rotating object is converted into a toroidal magnetic field. This effect is commonly observed in astrophysical objects such as stars and planets.

How does the Omega effect work?

The Omega effect is caused by the differential rotation of a conducting fluid, such as the plasma inside a star. This differential rotation creates shear forces that twist and stretch the poloidal magnetic field lines, converting them into toroidal magnetic field lines.

What is the importance of the Omega effect?

The Omega effect is a crucial process in the formation and maintenance of magnetic fields in astrophysical objects. It helps to generate the strong and complex magnetic fields observed in stars and planets, which play a significant role in their dynamics and evolution.

What is the difference between poloidal and toroidal magnetic fields?

Poloidal magnetic fields are characterized by magnetic field lines that run parallel to the axis of rotation, while toroidal magnetic fields are characterized by field lines that circle around the axis of rotation. The Omega effect converts the former into the latter.

Are there any applications of the Omega effect?

The Omega effect has potential applications in fusion energy research, as it is one of the mechanisms for confinement and stability of the plasma in fusion reactors. It is also being studied for possible applications in the field of astrophysical dynamos.