Riemann-Sieltjes vs. Lebesgue

• Thread starter jsr9119
  • Start date
In summary, the Lebesgue integral is a more general form of integration compared to the Riemann integral. It can also be extended to the Lebesgue-Stieltjes integral, which can handle measures in higher order transforms. While Radon's original paper used the Riemann-Stieltjes integral, it could have been written using the Lebesgue integral instead. However, there may be technical differences between the two. Lebesgue integration is always defined with respect to a measure, which can be different from the Lebesgue measure. For Lebesgue integration to include Riemann-Stieltjes integration as a special case, other measures besides the Lebesgue measure may be used.
jsr9119
Hey guys,

I'm doing a paper on the Radon transform and several sources I've come across cite the Lebesgue integral as a necessary tool to handle measures in higher order transforms.
But, Radon's original paper employs the Riemann-Stieltjes integral in its place.

I read that Lebesgue is more general and so Radon could have used it in place of RSI. Is this the case?

Thanks,

Jeff

Physics news on Phys.org
The Lebesgue integral is indeed more general than the Riemann integral.
Using measure theory, we can also develop the Lebesgue-Stieltjes integral, and this is a generalization of the Riemann-Stieltjes integral.

So yes, the paper could probably be written with Lebesgue instead of Riemann. But there may be technical differences between the two.

Is there a distinction between "Lebesgue Integration" and "integration with respect to Lebesgue measure"? My impressions is that "Lebesgue measure" on the real number line is a particular measure that implements the usual notion of length, so the measure of a single point would be zero. On the other hand, is "Lebesgue integration" defined with respect to an arbitrary measure?

For Lebesgue Integration to include Riemann-Stieljes integration as a special case, is it necessary to use measures other than Legesgue measure? (I'm thinking of the specific example of defining an integration that can integrate a discrete probability density function by the method of assigning non-zero measure to certain isolated points and turning "integration" into summation.)

Lebesgue-Stieljes integral is best described as Lebesgue integration with respect to a given measure.

Stephen Tashi said:
Is there a distinction between "Lebesgue Integration" and "integration with respect to Lebesgue measure"? My impressions is that "Lebesgue measure" on the real number line is a particular measure that implements the usual notion of length, so the measure of a single point would be zero. On the other hand, is "Lebesgue integration" defined with respect to an arbitrary measure?

Yes. Lebesgue integration is defined with respect to a measure. The procedure is the same, but different measures give different integrals.

For Lebesgue Integration to include Riemann-Stieljes integration as a special case, is it necessary to use measures other than Legesgue measure?

The Lebesgue measure is derived from the set function ##m((a,b])=b-a##.
The Stieljes measure is derived from the set function ##m(a,b]) = g(b)-g(a)## for some monotonically increasing function g.

(I'm thinking of the specific example of defining an integration that can integrate a discrete probability density function by the method of assigning non-zero measure to certain isolated points and turning "integration" into summation.)

Summation is a special case of Lebesgue integration, using the counting measure over Z, or Dirac measure over R.

In my experience, it's a bit ambiguous. When talking about Lebesgue integration, sometimes people talk about general integration wrt a measure and sometimes they talk about integration wrt Lebesgue measure. It's usually clear from the context though.

1. What is the difference between Riemann-Sieltjes and Lebesgue integration?

Riemann-Sieltjes integration is a generalization of Riemann integration that allows for a more flexible choice of integration measure. Lebesgue integration, on the other hand, is a more general type of integration that can handle a wider class of functions than Riemann integration.

2. Which type of integration is better for dealing with discontinuous functions?

Lebesgue integration is better suited for dealing with discontinuous functions because it can handle more general types of discontinuities and does not require the function to be bounded.

3. How do Riemann-Sieltjes and Lebesgue integrals differ in terms of their definitions?

Riemann-Sieltjes integration is defined in terms of a general integration measure, while Lebesgue integration is defined in terms of a measure called the Lebesgue measure, which is based on the length, area, or volume of a set in n-dimensional space.

4. Which type of integration is more commonly used in real-world applications?

Lebesgue integration is more commonly used in real-world applications because it can handle a wider class of functions and has better convergence properties.

5. Are there any advantages to using Riemann-Sieltjes integration over Lebesgue integration?

One advantage of Riemann-Sieltjes integration is that it can be used to define integrals for functions that are not Lebesgue integrable. Additionally, Riemann-Sieltjes integration can be useful for certain types of special functions, such as the Dirac delta function.