Does anyone know a program for creating schematics?

In summary, DCCAD is a program that allows you to make circuit schematics and layouts for HP Laserjet printers, while ExpressPCB and PCB Express offer similar services for other printer types. There are many online tools that allow you to create schematics, with Eagle being the most popular and comprehensive.
SlayerMonkey
As it states in the title, I am looking for a program that I could create circuit schematics with.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you've got a DOS machine around, check out DCCAD. It'll run under Windows up to '95 and will let you make printed circuit board layouts too. I liked its simplicity. It's specific to HP Laserjet printers, though.

There are hobby houses that let you download drawing software for schematics and circuit boards , you can send them your file and they'll send back a nicely made board.
ExpressPCB comes to mind. PCB Express, too.
The software is free but the boards are a bit pricey .

That "Discover Circuits" forum would be a good place to ask same question.

Others here will know too, so check back.

VISIO is quite good, but expensive

DipTrace is good and low cost.

By "for creating schematics" do you mean "for drawing schematics"? There must be plenty online and catering for beginner to accomplished user, but I admit I haven't found any to recommend. Do others have suggestions for interactive online schematics drawing?

Very basic one which I used long time ago (but it's good to start with) is:
flastad.com/circuit (free)

More advanced toy is:
pspice (9.1) - http://www.engr.uky.edu/~cathey/pspice061301.html which is also free.

I would recommend to start with pspice, find a few tutorials and you will be fine.

Thank you everyone for the help:smile:

JJ91 said:
Very basic one which I used long time ago (but it's good to start with) is:
flastad.com/circuit (free)
Firefox can't find the server at www.flastad.com

The free simulator program LTSpice has a very simple schematic drawing function in it, and a good library of components.

You can use ISIS Proteus, or eagle cad.
ISIS let's you to make circuit simulation also.

If you're dead set on using a free program, use OrCAD Capture. It is a GUI front end with PSPICE at its backend. The free one has limits on the number of components that can be simulated but no limit on simply drawing them.

http://www.cadence.com/products/orcad/pages/downloads.aspx

Eagle PCB and KiCAD are both excellent schematic capture and PCB layout programs. Both are also free (at least, the lite version of Eagle--can't do PCBs of more than 2 layers, or greater than 4" x 3", but since you're not designing a PCB, that's irrelevant).
http://www.cadsoftusa.com/download-eagle/
http://www.kicad-pcb.org/display/KICAD/KiCad+EDA+Software+Suite

Of the two, Eagle is probably better for your purposes as the tutorial is more refined, and the built-in component library is much larger (although someone went to the trouble of exporting all these to KiCad component library format, but then you'd have to find the library and use it).

1. What is a schematic and why is it important?

A schematic is a visual representation of a system or process, typically used in engineering and science fields. It is important because it allows for a clear and concise understanding of how a system works and how its components are connected.

2. Can you recommend a specific program for creating schematics?

There are many programs available for creating schematics, so the best one for you will depend on your specific needs and preferences. Some popular options include AutoCAD, Visio, and Eagle PCB Design Software.

3. Are there any free programs for creating schematics?

Yes, there are several free programs available for creating schematics. Some examples include KiCAD, Fritzing, and LTspice. These programs may have more limited features compared to paid options, but they can still be effective for creating basic schematics.

4. What skills do I need to use a schematic program?

To use a schematic program, you will need basic computer skills and an understanding of the system or process you are creating a schematic for. Some programs may also require knowledge of specific programming languages or software tools.

5. Can I use a schematic program for other purposes besides engineering?

While schematic programs are primarily used in engineering and science fields, they can also be useful for other purposes such as creating diagrams for presentations or organizing information visually. However, the features and tools may be more tailored towards engineering and scientific applications.