Mean Value and Rolle's Theorem

In summary, for the first problem using the Mean Value Theorem, there are two values of c that satisfy the given conditions on the interval [4,9]. The smaller one is __________ and the larger one is __________. For the second problem, to find the values that satisfy the conclusion of Rolle's Theorem, the derivative of 8sin((pi*x)) is needed to be set equal to 0 or undefined.
Torshi

Homework Statement

1.) (MVT) f(x) = 2x^3-6x^2-48x+4 on interval [4,9]
By the Mean Value Theorem, we know there exists a c in the open interval (-4,9) such that f'( c) is equal to this mean slope. For this problem, there are two values of c that work. The smaller one is __________ and larger one is __________?

2.) Rolles Theorem: Find all numbers c that satisfy the conclusion of Rolle's Theorem for the following function and interval. Enter the values in increasing order and enter N in any blanks you don't need to use. There are 4 values for 8sin((pi*x)), [-1,1]

Homework Equations

1.) f(b)-f(a)/b-a

2.) None needed.

The Attempt at a Solution

1.) I found the slope by plugging in the numbers from the interval and using the equation I posted getting 44 which is correct. The problem I'm having is trying to find the two "c" values. I've done other problems like this, but can't figure this one out.
I've set the f'(x) 6x^2-12x-48 = 44(slope) I've tried the quadratic and it didn't work.
6x^2-12x-92
(-b) +/- √b^2-4ac / 2a
I got x/- √2352 which is wrong.

2.) I know that in order to proceed I need the derivative to be = 0 or undefined. But can't solve this one

Physics news on Phys.org
Torshi said:

Homework Statement

1.) (MVT) f(x) = 2x^3-6x^2-48x+4 on interval [4,9]
By the Mean Value Theorem, we know there exists a c in the open interval (-4,9) such that f'( c) is equal to this mean slope. For this problem, there are two values of c that work. The smaller one is __________ and larger one is __________?

2.) Rolles Theorem: Find all numbers c that satisfy the conclusion of Rolle's Theorem for the following function and interval. Enter the values in increasing order and enter N in any blanks you don't need to use. There are 4 values for 8sin((pi*x)), [-1,1]

Homework Equations

1.) f(b)-f(a)/b-a

2.) None needed.

The Attempt at a Solution

1.) I found the slope by plugging in the numbers from the interval and using the equation I posted getting 44 which is correct. The problem I'm having is trying to find the two "c" values. I've done other problems like this, but can't figure this one out.
I've set the f'(x) 6x^2-12x-48 = 44(slope) I've tried the quadratic and it didn't work.
6x^2-12x-92
(-b) +/- √b^2-4ac / 2a
I got x/- √2352 which is wrong.

2.) I know that in order to proceed I need the derivative to be = 0 or undefined. But can't solve this one

No, the formula f(b)-f(a)/b-a is wrong: it means
[tex] f(b) - \frac{f(a)}{b} - a.[/tex]
If you really mean
[tex] \frac{f(b) - f(a)}{b-a},[/tex] you need to use brackets, like this: (f(b)-f(a))/(b-1).

I do not intend to guess what you mean; I will assume you mean exactly what you write!

For part 1) you were doing just fine until the quadratic formula part. "x/- √2352" can't be the whole answer. If the answer looks different from what you got there is a much simpler way to write √2352. Try and factor 2352. For the second one what did you get when you differentiated 8sin((pi*x))?

What is Mean Value Theorem and what is its significance?

Mean Value Theorem is a fundamental theorem in calculus that states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval, then there exists at least one point on the interval where the instantaneous rate of change (derivative) of the function is equal to the average rate of change of the function over the interval. This theorem is significant because it provides a way to find the slope of a function at a specific point without having to use the limit definition of the derivative.

What is Rolle's Theorem and how is it related to Mean Value Theorem?

Rolle's Theorem is a special case of the Mean Value Theorem, which states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval, differentiable on the open interval, and the values of the function at the endpoints of the interval are equal, then there exists at least one point on the interval where the derivative of the function is equal to zero. In other words, Rolle's Theorem states that there is a point on the interval where the tangent line is horizontal. This theorem is related to Mean Value Theorem because it is a specific application of it.

What are the conditions for Mean Value Theorem to hold?

The conditions for Mean Value Theorem to hold are:

• The function must be continuous on a closed interval.
  • The function must be differentiable on the open interval.
  • The values of the function at the endpoints of the interval must be equal.
If any of these conditions are not met, then the Mean Value Theorem does not hold for the given function and interval.

How is Mean Value Theorem used in real life applications?

Mean Value Theorem is used in various real-life applications, including:

• Calculating the average velocity of an object over a given time interval.
  • Finding the average rate of change of a stock's price over a certain period of time.
  • Determining the average speed of a car during a road trip.
  • Estimating the average rate of change of a chemical reaction over a specific time interval.
In general, Mean Value Theorem can be used to find the average rate of change of any quantity over a given interval.

Can Mean Value Theorem be applied to all functions?

No, Mean Value Theorem can only be applied to functions that satisfy the conditions stated in the theorem. If a function is not continuous on a closed interval or not differentiable on the open interval, then Mean Value Theorem cannot be applied to it. Additionally, if the values of the function at the endpoints of the interval are not equal, then Rolle's Theorem cannot be applied. Therefore, Mean Value Theorem is not applicable to all functions.