Anyone working in a Utility Company?

In summary, Aaron works for a utility company and is an expert on substation protective relaying. He said that most lines he sees have the neutral wire above the phase wires for lightning reasons. He also said that he worked in the Economic Dispatch and Generation Control software and hardware for the Energy Management System.
Foxh0und
Anyone here who works on a utility company? does your company practice neutral high(neutral on top of the phase conductors) in distribution system?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I work for a utility in the South. As far as you question goes, I'm not an expert on our distribution lines (I work in substation protective relaying), but I would say most of the lines I see have the neutral above the phase wires. I believe we do that for lightning reasons, from what others have told me in the past. If you had a specific question I can try to answer it, although someone else might be more knowledgeable than me on the subject.

-Aaron

mtb856 said:
... (I work in substation protective relaying),...

Interesting and very necessary area of work. I wish I would had learned more about it while working in the SCADA area.

I actually worked in that area for 4 years as well, very fun and interesting. I worked at the slave side, getting all the substation equipment working with the RTU and testing with the SCADA front end at our headquarters.

Like you said though, I wanted to see the rest of the substation so I moved to our relaying group for more experience.

What area of SCADA did you work in?

Thanks Aaron! what is the name of you utility company? is it possible to know your standard specifications & procedures when installing the neutral wire?

mtb856 said:
What area of SCADA did you work in?

Economic Dispatch and Generation Control software and hardware for the Energy Management System. Basically I engineered the RTU hardware interfaces for the utility company area's 5 power plants (IIRC, back then there were 12 generator interfaces) and 15 tie-line subs. The software aspect involved determining and inputting the generator/substation database, system impedance matrices at different loads (used to determine which generator is most economical to ramp), and the graphics interface for the dispatch operators.

And all the fun involved with tuning so not to bring the grid down. :bugeye:

Foxh0und said:
Thanks Aaron! what is the name of you utility company? is it possible to know your standard specifications & procedures when installing the neutral wire?

I work for Alabama Power, a subsidiary of Southern Company. As far as the specifications, I'm going to have to apologize and say that I wouldn't even know who to ask for that. My only interaction with Distribution is with the bucket truck line guys that hook the lines up to the substation, I'm not sure where the group is that handles sizing the shield wires. I will say in the past it seems that they install it after the pole support wires are connected, but before the phase conductors...but I'm not sure if that's a hard and fast rule. Sorry that I couldn't be more help.

I appreciate your post, it helped me in some ways as well. I'll just try to google your company, maybe I can find manuals to download. Thanks again!

What is the role of a scientist in a Utility Company?

A scientist in a Utility Company is responsible for conducting research, analyzing data, and developing solutions to improve the efficiency and sustainability of the company's operations. They may also be involved in product development and testing, as well as providing technical support for the company's products or services.

What skills and qualifications are required to work as a scientist in a Utility Company?

To work as a scientist in a Utility Company, you typically need a degree in a relevant field such as engineering, environmental science, or chemistry. Additionally, strong analytical, problem-solving, and communication skills are essential for this role. Previous experience in a related industry or research experience may also be beneficial.

What challenges do scientists face when working in a Utility Company?

One of the main challenges for scientists working in a Utility Company is finding solutions to complex problems while balancing economic and environmental factors. They may also face challenges in implementing new technologies or methods, and staying updated on industry regulations and standards.

What impact do scientists have on a Utility Company's operations and services?

Scientists play a crucial role in a Utility Company's operations and services. They help to improve efficiency, reduce costs, and ensure the sustainability of the company's activities. Through their research and analysis, they also contribute to the development of innovative products and services that meet the needs of customers and regulatory requirements.

What are the future prospects for scientists working in a Utility Company?

The demand for scientists in Utility Companies is expected to increase in the future as companies seek to improve their environmental performance and develop sustainable solutions. Opportunities for career growth and advancement may also be available for those who have a strong track record of success and keep up with new technologies and industry developments.