Famous late-bloomer scientists

• Thread starter wifi
  • Start date
In summary: I'm not sure if he finished his PhD when he was 60 or if he just got it recently. He's an incredible physicist, though!
wifi
Anyone know of any?

Physics news on Phys.org
In what field in particular?

Last edited:
WannabeNewton said:
In what field in particular?

Any.

HayleySarg said:
He started in history, but took a new avenue into theoretical physics later. He was still quite young (in his 20's) when he got the PhD though.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Witten

Of course, Witten is a legend! I thought he was in economics first though.

According to what I've read, and the wiki, he did his B.S in History (minor in linguistics). He did, however, drop out of Econ grad school.

He was 22 at the time of his HS degree, so his B.S was when he was in his mid 20's. He taught H.S math through his 30's.

So while yes, he was involved, he wasn't doing anything too in-depth.

Does this stem from curiosity, or personal comparison if I may ask?

A little bit of both to be honest.

That cat person.

George Jones said:
That cat person.

Thanks.

I've always felt that people who come late to the party almost never make it, and it's all they can do to hold their head above water. However, I was talking to this geophysicist girl last night about this and she made the point that a huge percentage of people start early, a very small percentage attempt to start late, and so the percentage of those late starters who make it might well be the same percentage as the percentage of early starters who make it.

She told me about two late starters (late 20's, early 30's) in her program who are doing remarkable well. One of them actually shot ahead of everyone else and did something kind of amazing.

George Green (14 July 1793 – 31 May 1841) was a British mathematical physicist who wrote An Essay on the Application of Mathematical Analysis to the Theories of Electricity and Magnetism (Green, 1828).[1][2] The essay introduced several important concepts, among them a theorem similar to the modern Green's theorem, the idea of potential functions as currently used in physics, and the concept of what are now called Green's functions. Green was the first person to create a mathematical theory of electricity and magnetism and his theory formed the foundation for the work of other scientists such as James Clerk Maxwell, William Thomson, and others. His work ran parallel to that of the great mathematician Gauss (potential theory).
Green's life story is remarkable in that he was almost entirely self-taught. He was born and lived for most of his life in the English town of Sneinton, Nottinghamshire, nowadays part of the city of Nottingham. His father (also named George) was a baker who had built and owned a brick windmill used to grind grain. The younger Green only had about one year of formal schooling as a child, between the ages of 8 and 9.

Incredible.

That guy finished his PhD in physics when he was 60. It took him quite a long time to finish it. Not sure, what he did all that time, though. I heard he spent his time with some royals or something like that.

1. Who are some famous late-bloomer scientists?

Some famous late-bloomer scientists include Charles Darwin, who didn't publish his theory of evolution until he was 50 years old, and Alfred Russell Wallace, who developed a similar theory independently at the age of 35. Other notable late-bloomers include Marie Curie, who didn't receive her first Nobel Prize until she was 36, and Benjamin Franklin, who made significant contributions to science in his 40s and 50s.

2. What is considered a "late-bloomer" in the scientific community?

A late-bloomer in the scientific community is typically someone who makes significant contributions or breakthroughs in their field at an age that is considered older than the average scientist. This may vary depending on the field, but it is generally considered to be around 40 years old or older.

3. What are some reasons for scientists to have a late start in their careers?

Some reasons for scientists to have a late start in their careers include pursuing other interests or careers before turning to science, facing discrimination or barriers to entry in their desired field, or simply taking longer to develop their ideas and theories.

4. Are there any advantages to being a late-bloomer scientist?

Yes, there can be advantages to being a late-bloomer scientist. For example, having a diverse range of experiences and knowledge from pursuing other interests or careers can provide a unique perspective and approach to scientific research. Additionally, older scientists may have more patience, focus, and determination to see their ideas through to fruition.

5. Can anyone become a late-bloomer scientist?

Yes, anyone has the potential to become a late-bloomer scientist. Success in the scientific community is not solely determined by age, and there have been many late-bloomers who have made significant contributions to their fields. It is never too late to pursue a career in science and make a meaningful impact on the world.