Make Filter Paper from Feathers: Expert Advice Needed

• Thread starter totoykabute
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paper
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of making filter paper out of feathers and the process involved. Feathers contain a protein called keratin which can be broken down using various chemical treatments. It is suggested to focus on protein chemistry commonly found in the wool industry when attempting to make filter paper from feathers. Another method mentioned involves milling the feathers and using a mixture of glue, water, and ethanol to pulp them.
totoykabute
feathers have the same properties as wool.. i am planning to make filter paper out of feathers but i have no idea of what process to be used.. kraft pulping process are for woods.. how about nonwood?.. anyone who are expert in pulping process can help me.. thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would practice making your filters from wool first, specifically wool linters. Feathers are mostly harvested from slaughterhouse operations and have a significant amount of blood in them. You will need to start off your process by steam cleaning them. After that you will have a fluffy pile of shafts and vanes. The shafts will behave differently than vanes in papermaking but will act as a reinforcement in a filter application. They are made up of a protein loosely described as ketatin. This protein is in the form of fibrils on the molecular scale just as wood is composed of fibrils on the macro scale. These fibrils are held together by a combination of disulfide linkages (from the cysteine amino acids) and hydrogen bonds from the aspartic and glutamic acids. The hydrogen bonds can be effectively disrupted by concentrated
acids or strong urea solutions. The disulfide linkages can be broken by treatment with a reducing or oxidizing agent. A mixture of urea and sodium sulfite can isolate a fraction from the feathers which can be recast into weak films under mildly oxidizing conditions. If the feathers are first oxidized under acidic peracid conditions (cold peracetic acid), you can solubilize the entire protein with subsequent alkaline treatment. From this solution can be isolated sulfur rich alpha-keratose and sulfur poor gamma-keratose although since keratins are named keratins due to their unusually high sulfur content, calling something sulfur-poor keratin (gamma-keratin) is a bit of a misnomer, reflecting the material's origins. These two fractions can be precipitated under different conditions and can be used in various clever ways as structural biomaterials or, I suppose, a filter.

My advice would be to forget about wood processing for paper and focus on the protein chemistry common in the wool industry and apply that knowledge to feathers with the understanding that feathers lack structural features commonly found in hair and wool such as cuticle.

Last edited:
Likes 2 people
ahmm.. we found some info in the net and they make a paper from feather by milling the feather, then macerating it by 10 grams of commercial glue and 500 ml water, and putting some ethanol.. that's how they pulp the feathers.. will it work for our filter paper?

No idea. Sounds like it's worth a try.

I would advise approaching this project with caution. While feathers may have some similar properties to wool, they are still very different materials and may not be suitable for making filter paper. Additionally, feathers may not have the same structural integrity as wood, making it difficult to create a strong and durable filter paper.

If you are determined to use feathers for this project, I suggest conducting some preliminary research on the properties of feathers and how they can be processed. It may also be helpful to consult with experts in the field of papermaking or pulping to get their insights and advice on how to approach this project.

In terms of the pulping process, the kraft pulping process is specifically designed for wood fibers and may not be suitable for non-wood materials like feathers. However, there are other pulping methods that may be more suitable for feathers, such as soda pulping or sulfite pulping. I recommend consulting with experts in pulping to determine the best method for processing feathers.

Overall, I would caution against attempting to make filter paper from feathers without proper knowledge and expertise in pulping and papermaking. It may be a challenging and potentially unsuccessful project without the proper resources and guidance.

1. How do feathers make an effective filter paper?

Feathers have a natural structure that allows them to trap particles and filter out impurities. The barbs and barbules of feathers create a mesh-like structure that can capture particles as small as 0.1 microns.

2. What types of feathers are best for making filter paper?

The best feathers for filter paper are those that have a lot of barbs and barbules, such as down feathers from ducks or geese. These types of feathers have a high surface area and can effectively trap particles.

3. Can any feathers be used to make filter paper?

While any feathers can technically be used, some may not be as effective due to their structure or size. Feathers from larger birds, like ostriches, may not work as well because they have fewer barbs and barbules compared to smaller bird feathers.

4. How do you make filter paper from feathers?

The process of making filter paper from feathers involves cleaning and sterilizing the feathers, separating the barbs and barbules from the shaft, and then layering and compressing the barbs and barbules to form a paper-like material. The final step is to dry and press the filter paper before using it for filtration.

5. What are the potential applications of feather filter paper?

Feather filter paper can be used for various applications, such as water and air filtration, oil spill cleanup, and medical filtration. It is also biodegradable and renewable, making it an environmentally friendly option for filtration.