Calculating the Distance and Parallax of a Star: A Practical Guide

• Thread starter fatima_a
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parallax
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the formula d=1/p to calculate the distance (d) of a star based on its parallax (p). The conversation also mentions using the "cosine law" to determine the distance from the star to Venus when measuring its parallax from Venus's orbit. This highlights the importance of understanding the reasoning behind formulas rather than just memorizing them.
fatima_a
A star exhibits a parallax of 0.250 arcseconds when measured from Earth.
a) What is its distance (pc)?

I know this uses the formula d=1/p, so i can solve this very easily

b) What would its parallax be if measured from Venus’s orbit (arcseconds)? (Look up
the one parameter you need to solve this using the relevant equation.)

I don't know what to do here at all though, I can't look up it's distance from Venus because its an arbitrary star...so what do i do? Can someone guide me to the right direction??

Thanks

Astronomy news on Phys.org
What is the base of the triangle used to measured parallax of distant stars?

(by the way, you should post these kind of questions in the homework section)

Do you know what parallax means? Imagine lines drawn from this "arbitrary star" to opposite ends of Venus' orbit (on the line through the sun perpendicular to the line to the star). That gives you an isosceles triangle with one angle (the one at the star) known and one side (the distance across Venus' orbit). You can use the "cosine law" to find the lengths of the two other sides (the distance from Venus to the star).

"I know this uses the formula d=1/p".

There's your problem- you know formulas but you don't know the reasoning behind the formulas so you don't know how to change them when the situation changes!

Just to be clear here - do you know how the equation d=1/p is derived?
i.e. Do you know the relationship between parallax measurements and triangulation?

[edit]HallofIvy beat me to it.

for your question. To calculate the parallax of the star from Venus's orbit, we can use the same formula as before, d=1/p, but instead of using the distance from Earth, we use the distance from Venus to the star. This distance can be calculated using the distance from Earth to Venus (which is known) and the distance from Earth to the star (which we can calculate using the parallax measurement from Earth).

So, the equation would be:

parallax from Venus's orbit = 1 / (distance from Venus to star / distance from Earth to Venus)

To calculate the distance from Earth to Venus, we can use the formula R = AU * (1 / tan(0.250 arcseconds)), where R is the distance from Earth to Venus and AU is the astronomical unit (149.6 million kilometers). This will give us the distance in kilometers. Then, we can use this distance to calculate the distance from Venus to the star using the same formula, d=1/p, where d is the distance from Venus to the star and p is the parallax measurement from Venus's orbit.

I hope this helps guide you in the right direction. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is parallax and how does it relate to distance?

Parallax is the apparent shift in the position of an object when viewed from different angles. It is used in astronomy to determine the distance of stars and other celestial objects. The greater the parallax, the closer the object is to Earth.

2. How is parallax measured?

Parallax is measured by observing an object from two different vantage points and calculating the angle of the apparent shift in position. This angle can then be used to determine the distance to the object using trigonometry.

3. What is the unit of measurement for parallax?

The unit of measurement for parallax is arcseconds ("). This is because the angle of parallax is often very small and is typically measured in seconds of arc.

4. Can parallax be used to measure the distance to objects other than stars?

Yes, parallax can also be used to measure the distance to other objects in space, such as planets and asteroids. However, for objects within our own solar system, other methods such as radar or spacecraft missions are often used instead.

5. What is the limitation of using parallax to measure distance?

The limitation of using parallax to measure distance is that it is only accurate for relatively nearby objects. As the distance increases, the parallax angle becomes smaller and more difficult to measure accurately. Therefore, other methods are needed for objects that are too far away for parallax to be effective.