Relationship between Kd and bonding affinity?

In summary: It is pretty much a tautology that for a given concentration of unliganded protein you get more liganded protein at high affinity than low affinity.In summary, the two dissociation constants Ka and Kb represent the binding strengths of a protein to ligand A and ligand B, respectively. A lower dissociation constant indicates a tighter binding or higher affinity. From the given equations and values, it can be concluded that the free protein binds to ligand B more tightly than ligand A due to the lower Kb value. This can be further understood by examining the equilibrium equations and calculating the ratio of bound to unbound protein at a specific ligand concentration.
τheory
From a biochemical context, considering the following two dissociation reactions and their respective dissociation constants for a protein-ligand complex:

P*A + B ⇔ P + A + B, this contains the a dissociation constant called Ka = 4 x 10^-3 M

P*B + A ⇔ P + A + B, this contains the a dissociation constant called Kb = 2 x 10^-7 M

Compare the values of Ka and Kb; Does the free protein bind ligand A or ligand B more tightly? I know that a lower dissociation value means tighter bonding or "higher affinity," so the free protein should bind to ligand B more tightly, but can someone explain to me why this is the case?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
τheory said:
From a biochemical context, considering the following two dissociation reactions and their respective dissociation constants for a protein-ligand complex:

P*A + B ⇔ P + A + B, this contains the a dissociation constant called Ka = 4 x 10^-3 M

P*B + A ⇔ P + A + B, this contains the a dissociation constant called Kb = 2 x 10^-7 M

Compare the values of Ka and Kb; Does the free protein bind ligand A or ligand B more tightly? I know that a lower dissociation value means tighter bonding or "higher affinity," so the free protein should bind to ligand B more tightly, but can someone explain to me why this is the case?

You seen to have answered your own question, so I don't know really what it is. But to explain to yourself "why this is the case" just write down the equation for the equilibrium, then ask yourself what is the ligand concentration when the protein is half-saturated, i.e. bound protein = free protein.

Your first equation contains a B on both sides, and your second an A which if they were not there would make no difference and might confuse you less.

So the question, of why one ligand binds more strongly than the other, pertains to the idea that in a system, ligand B will have a higher concentration of bound vs unbound proteins compared to ligand A at the half saturation level?

Edit: To your previous statement, I did answer my own question implicitly due to the way I phrased the original post, that was my mistake. What I meant to say was that I uncovered a principle (lower Kd = tighter bonding) from my textbook that I didn't fundamentally understand. As a result, I wanted someone to try to explain this concept.

Last edited:
τheory said:
So the question, of why one ligand binds more strongly than the other, pertains to the idea that in a system, ligand B will have a higher concentration of bound vs unbound proteins compared to ligand A at the half saturation level?

More like at half saturation with B, will be at lower concentration than [A] will be at half saturation with A.

It does not sound like you have written the equilibrium equation as I suggested; if you do you should see what's what. To use the half-saturation point is a convenience, but a pretty essential one you will meet constantly.

It will also help you see how this works if you calculate the ratio of liganded to unliganded protein at 10-5M free ligand in cases A and B which have very different affinities.

In biochemistry, the dissociation constant (Kd) is a measure of the strength of the interaction between a protein and its ligand. It is defined as the concentration of ligand at which half of the binding sites on the protein are occupied. Therefore, a lower Kd value indicates a stronger binding affinity between the protein and its ligand.

In this context, the dissociation constants Ka and Kb represent the dissociation rates for two different dissociation reactions involving the same protein and two different ligands. The values of Ka and Kb are inversely proportional to the corresponding Kd values, as shown by the equations Ka = 1/Kd and Kb = 1/Kd. This means that a lower Ka or Kb value corresponds to a lower Kd value and therefore a higher binding affinity between the protein and its ligand.

In the given reactions, Ka = 4 x 10^-3 M and Kb = 2 x 10^-7 M. Comparing these values, we can see that Kb is significantly lower than Ka, indicating a higher binding affinity between the protein and ligand B. This means that the free protein will bind to ligand B more tightly than ligand A because the dissociation rate for the reaction involving ligand B is much lower than that of the reaction involving ligand A.

In summary, the lower dissociation constant (Kd) indicates a tighter binding or higher affinity between a protein and its ligand. In the given scenario, the free protein will bind to ligand B more tightly due to its lower dissociation constant (Kd) compared to ligand A.

1. What is Kd and how is it related to bonding affinity?

Kd, or dissociation constant, is a measure of how tightly a ligand binds to its target protein or receptor. It is directly related to the strength of the bond between the two molecules and therefore, a lower Kd indicates a higher bonding affinity.

2. How is Kd determined?

Kd can be determined experimentally by measuring the concentration of free ligand and bound ligand at equilibrium and using a mathematical formula to calculate the dissociation constant. It can also be estimated using techniques such as surface plasmon resonance (SPR) or isothermal titration calorimetry (ITC).

3. What factors can affect the relationship between Kd and bonding affinity?

The relationship between Kd and bonding affinity can be influenced by various factors such as the size and shape of the ligand and receptor, the presence of other molecules that may compete for binding, and the temperature and pH of the environment. Additionally, mutations in the ligand or receptor can also alter the binding affinity.

4. How does Kd differ from affinity constants such as Ka and Kdiss?

Kd is the inverse of the affinity constant, Ka, and represents the concentration of the ligand required to occupy 50% of the available binding sites on the receptor. Kdiss, or the dissociation rate constant, is a measure of how quickly the ligand dissociates from the receptor, while Kd represents the equilibrium between bound and unbound ligand.

5. Can Kd be used to compare the strength of bonding between different ligands and receptors?

Yes, Kd is commonly used to compare the binding affinities of different ligands and receptors. A lower Kd indicates a stronger bond, while a higher Kd indicates a weaker bond. However, it is important to note that Kd should only be compared between similar ligand-receptor systems and cannot be used to directly compare different types of interactions.