Can Complex Numbers in Polar Format Be Equated Like Real Numbers?

In summary, the conversation discusses the equality of two complex numbers in polar format and how the values of A, B, C, and D must differ by an integer multiple of 2pi. It also points out that the assumption that A = C and B = D may not always be true, as there are other possible combinations of values that can make two complex numbers equal.
KrayzBlu
Hi,

We know that if we have two complex numbers in polar format (i.e., magnitude and exponential), that for two complex vectors

z1 = A*exp(iB)
z2 = C*exp(iD)

If z1 and z2 are equal, then A = C and B = D. However, this is assuming these values are all real. What if they are complex? I.e. can we say if we have two complex numbers

z3 = (a+ib)*exp(c+id)
z4 = (e+if)*exp(g+ih)

If z3 and z4 are equal, can we say that (a+ib) = (e+if) and (c+id) = (g+ih)?

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
KrayzBlu said:
Hi,

We know that if we have two complex numbers in polar format (i.e., magnitude and exponential), that for two complex vectors

z1 = A*exp(iB)
z2 = C*exp(iD)

If z1 and z2 are equal, then A = C and B = D.

Not quite true. B and D must differ by an integer multiple of 2pi. You'll need to take that into account when working out the rest of this.

SteveL27 said:
Not quite true. B and D must differ by an integer multiple of 2pi. You'll need to take that into account when working out the rest of this.

Thanks for pointing this out, SteveL27, I should have said B = D +/- n*2*π, where n is any integer.

KrayzBlu said:
If z1 and z2 are equal, then A = C and B = D. However, this is assuming these values are all real.

You can have A = -C, if B and D are different by an odd multiple of π

z3 = (a+ib)*exp(c+id)
z4 = (e+if)*exp(g+ih)
If z3 and z4 are equal, can we say that (a+ib) = (e+if) and (c+id) = (g+ih)?
It should be easy to see why that is false. For example take
a = 1, b = c = d = 0, e = 0, f = 1, and find g and h to make z3 = z4.

If you convert z3 = x3 + i y3 and z3 = x4 + i y4, you only have 2 equations (x3 = x4 and y3 = y4) but 8 unknowns (a through h). You need 6 more equations before you can hope there is a unique solution.

Likes 1 person
for your question! The answer is yes, we can say that (a+ib) = (e+if) and (c+id) = (g+ih) if z3 and z4 are equal. This is because complex numbers follow the same rules of equality as real numbers. Just like how we can equate two real numbers if they have the same value, we can also equate two complex numbers if they have the same value.

In the case of z3 and z4, we can break them down into their real and imaginary parts and equate them separately. This is because the real and imaginary parts of complex numbers behave independently from each other, much like how the x and y components of a vector behave independently.

Therefore, if z3 and z4 are equal, it follows that their real parts (a+ib) and (e+if) must also be equal, and their imaginary parts (c+id) and (g+ih) must also be equal. This is a fundamental property of complex numbers and is known as the "equality principle."

In conclusion, we can equate complex numbers just like we can equate real numbers, as long as they have the same value. This allows us to perform operations on complex numbers with ease and use them in various mathematical and scientific applications.

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that consist of both a real part and an imaginary part. They are typically written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part with the imaginary unit i equal to the square root of -1.

2. How do you add and subtract complex numbers?

To add or subtract complex numbers, you can simply combine the real parts and the imaginary parts separately. For example, (2 + 3i) + (4 - 2i) = (2+4) + (3i-2i) = 6 + i.

3. What is the difference between the complex conjugate and the absolute value of a complex number?

The complex conjugate of a complex number a + bi is a - bi, where the sign of the imaginary part is changed. The absolute value of a complex number is the distance of the number from the origin on the complex plane and is calculated as the square root of the sum of the squares of the real and imaginary parts.

4. How do you multiply and divide complex numbers?

To multiply complex numbers, you can use the FOIL method, just like with binomials. For example, (2 + 3i)(4 - 2i) = 8 - 4i + 12i - 6i^2 = 8 + 8i - 6(-1) = 14 + 8i. To divide complex numbers, you can use the complex conjugate to rationalize the denominator.

5. How are complex numbers used in real life?

Complex numbers are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics to represent quantities with both a real and an imaginary component. They are also used in signal processing and electrical engineering to model alternating currents and in quantum mechanics to describe the wave function of particles. Complex numbers are also used in computer graphics and animation to represent 2D and 3D coordinates.