Bridging the gap between waters selfionizatio and Le Chatelier

• Thread starter christian0710
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gap
In summary, the equilibrium constant always remains constant, but the concentrations of reactions at equilibrium do not need to be equivalent.
christian0710
Hi i have a question regarding the connection between Le chatelier and Waters self Ionization. I'd really appreciate if someone could give me heads up if my understanding is correct, or point me in the right direction if I'm off. Here we go:

We know that water self-ionizes from the following equilibrium reaction
2H2O = OH(-) + H3O(+)

And the equilibrium constant is
[OH][H+]=kw=10^-14

So let’s assume we add 1mol HCl to 1Liter water:

According to the equilibrium constant the concentration of OH(-) is
[OH]=Kw/[1mol] =10^-14

So from this, can we conclude the following (Is this correctly understood?) :
1) In very acidic solutions (1mole of HCl) waters self-ionization still occurs and the same amount of OH(-) is still produced as in a neutral solution BUT a big amount of the added H3O(+) reacts with OH to form water.
2) According to Le chatelier, by adding 1 mole of HCl, Waters self-ionization equilibrium should shift to the left (due to the high concentration of H+) such that only 10^-14 [OH] Is produced from the reaction between water molecule for the Ksp to be 10^-14. This means that waters self-ionization happens on a SMALLER scale so only 2x10^-14 water molecules split per unit time, and not 2*10^-7 such as at pH=7,.

So the equilibrium constant always remains constant, but unlike most equilibrium expressions involving both reactants and products, the concentrations of reactions at equilibrium do not need to be equivalent - [OH]=10^-14 and [H+]=1Molar which are not at all equivalent but they still make the equilibrium constant true.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
christian0710 said:
So the equilibrium constant always remains constant

Correct.

but unlike most equilibrium expressions involving both reactants and products, the concentrations of reactions at equilibrium do not need to be equivalent

You can safely assume concentrations of products are (almost) never identical. This is only approximation that works for a simple systems.

Other than that nothing cries out loud "you are wrong!".

Thank you so much! I'm glad i finally understand this :D

1. What is the significance of bridging the gap between water self-ionization and Le Chatelier's principle?

Bridging the gap between water self-ionization and Le Chatelier's principle is important because it helps us better understand the behavior of water and its ions in different conditions. This knowledge is crucial in various fields such as chemistry, biology, and environmental science.

2. How does Le Chatelier's principle apply to water self-ionization?

Le Chatelier's principle states that when a system at equilibrium is disturbed, it will shift in a direction to counteract the disturbance and re-establish equilibrium. In the case of water self-ionization, adding or removing ions can disrupt the equilibrium, and the system will shift to either produce or consume more ions to maintain equilibrium.

3. What factors affect the self-ionization of water?

The self-ionization of water is affected by temperature, pressure, and the presence of other substances. As temperature increases, the self-ionization of water also increases. Higher pressure favors the formation of more ions, while the presence of other substances can either increase or decrease the self-ionization of water depending on their chemical properties.

4. How does understanding water self-ionization help in predicting the behavior of acidic and basic solutions?

Acids and bases are substances that donate or accept protons, respectively. As water self-ionizes, it produces equal amounts of H+ and OH- ions, which are the building blocks of acids and bases. By understanding the self-ionization of water, we can predict the concentration of H+ and OH- ions in a solution and determine its acidity or basicity.

5. What are the practical applications of bridging the gap between water self-ionization and Le Chatelier's principle?

The knowledge gained from bridging the gap between water self-ionization and Le Chatelier's principle has many practical applications. It helps us understand the behavior of acids and bases in solution, the pH of various substances, and the role of water in different chemical reactions. This knowledge also has applications in industries such as food and beverage, pharmaceuticals, and water treatment.