Power Loss Confusion: I^2R vs V^2/R

The second one says the same thing but in terms of voltage as the fixed quantity. So they are both correct and consistent.
K Dhiraj Bhak
Power loss doubt: power loss = I^2 R Power loss = V^2 / R But the 2 equations are contradictory ,,, from the first equation , we can say " MORE THE RESISTANCE MORE THE POWER LOSS" from the second equation ,,, it is the other way round... Why does this happen? ( usually the 1st equation is used for power loss expression ,, but i don't know why ,, and i want to know why the second equation can't be used)

Physics news on Phys.org
K Dhiraj Bhak said:
Power loss doubt: power loss = I^2 R Power loss = V^2 / R But the 2 equations are contradictory ,,, from the first equation , we can say " MORE THE RESISTANCE MORE THE POWER LOSS" from the second equation ,,, it is the other way round... Why does this happen? ( usually the 1st equation is used for power loss expression ,, but i don't know why ,, and i want to know why the second equation can't be used)
The expressions are consistent. The first one says that the more resistance the more the power loss if the current is held fixed. Just the opposite if the voltage is held fixed.

Likes 1 person

1. What is "Power Loss Confusion"?

"Power Loss Confusion" refers to the confusion that can arise when calculating power loss in a circuit using two different formulas: I^2R and V^2/R.

2. What is the difference between I^2R and V^2/R?

I^2R and V^2/R are two different formulas used to calculate power loss in a circuit. I^2R represents the power dissipated as heat due to the flow of current (I) through a resistance (R), while V^2/R represents the power dissipated as heat due to the voltage (V) across a resistance (R).

3. Which formula should I use to calculate power loss?

The formula you should use depends on the information you have available. If you know the current and resistance in a circuit, use I^2R. If you know the voltage and resistance, use V^2/R. However, if you know both the current and voltage, it is recommended to use the more accurate formula, P = IV.

4. Why is there confusion surrounding these formulas?

The confusion arises because both formulas can be used to calculate power loss, but they represent different aspects of the circuit. Additionally, some textbooks and resources may use one formula over the other, leading to confusion for those learning about power loss.

5. How can I avoid confusion when calculating power loss?

To avoid confusion, it is important to understand the differences between I^2R and V^2/R and when to use each formula. Additionally, always double check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct formula for the information you have available.