Register to reply

Can a CHANGING magnetic field change the speed of a charged particle

by aniket7tomar
Tags: charged, field, magnetic, particle, speed
Share this thread:
aniket7tomar
Feb27-14, 09:45 AM
P: 10
We had this ques. in a test - "can a changing magnetic field change the speed of a charged particle". The ans given to us was "no because it's velocity is perpendicular to the magnetic force due to the mag field" but a friend of mine wrote that a changing mag. field will induce an emf which will act on the particle and change its speed and hence the mag field can change the speed.
I can not prove him wrong and so i think he is right.
What's going on here
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists discuss quantum pigeonhole principle
First in-situ images of void collapse in explosives
The first supercomputer simulations of 'spin?orbit' forces between neutrons and protons in an atomic nucleus
ZapperZ
Feb27-14, 09:51 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 29,239
Quote Quote by aniket7tomar View Post
We had this ques. in a test - "can a changing magnetic field change the speed of a charged particle". The ans given to us was "no because it's velocity is perpendicular to the magnetic force due to the mag field" but a friend of mine wrote that a changing mag. field will induce an emf which will act on the particle and change its speed and hence the mag field can change the speed.
I can not prove him wrong and so i think he is right.
What's going on here
First of all, the question is a bit vague. When we talk about something "changing", it must be changing with respect to a particular variable. In this case, is the magnetic field changing with position (which means that it has a gradient over distance), or is it changing with respect to time (which means that it is time varying)?

For the latter, one can easily invoke one of Maxwell's equation, which is Faraday's law that says that a time-varying magnetic field can induce an electric field (more accurately, the curl of the electric field is not zero). And we all know that the presence of an electric field can change the speed of a charged particle.

Zz.
aniket7tomar
Feb27-14, 10:01 AM
So for the case you considered my friend is right?
And will it not be the same if the field was changing with position.

jtbell
Feb27-14, 10:33 AM
Mentor
P: 11,616
Can a CHANGING magnetic field change the speed of a charged particle

So for the case you considered [time-varying magnetic field] my friend is right?
Yes. This is the principle behind an early type of particle accelerator, the betatron:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betatron
dauto
Feb27-14, 10:49 AM
Thanks
P: 1,948
So for the case you considered my friend is right?
And will it not be the same if the field was changing with position.
No, if the field is changing with position, but not with time, there is no induced electric field.
phyzguy
Feb27-14, 11:02 AM
P: 2,179
It's also ambiguous in the sense that, even in the case of a time-varying magnetic field, one can argue that it is not the time varying magnetic field which is changing the speed of the particle, it is the electric field.
aniket7tomar
Feb27-14, 11:18 AM
thanks,
sorry for that stupid ques about mag field changing with position...
i dont know why i asked that?
Drakkith
Feb28-14, 03:40 PM
Mentor
P: 11,549
Quote Quote by dauto View Post
No, if the field is changing with position, but not with time, there is no induced electric field.
I was under the impression that a magnetic field changes in both position and time. How else would moving a magnet in and out of a coil produce a current?
danshawen
May10-14, 05:25 PM
P: 12
Well, of course it can! This happens all the time in a loop of conducting wire rotating in a magnetic field, such as in that of a dynamo or other electrical generator.

The electron is a charged particle. As the loop rotates, the direction of the magnetic field through the loop changes. This generates an AC current in the wire. The speed of the electrons in the wire change from zero to plus or minus a voltage that depends on the strength of the changing magnetic field.

How could it be that no one else here gets this, or am I missing some nuance of the question?
WannabeNewton
May10-14, 05:30 PM
C. Spirit
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 5,427
Quote Quote by Drakkith View Post
I was under the impression that a magnetic field changes in both position and time. How else would moving a magnet in and out of a coil produce a current?
A magnetic field can change in time or position or both but there is no reason it must necessarily change in both. If the magnetic field has time variation then it will "generate" a current. Spatial variation doesn't matter for that.
Matterwave
May10-14, 06:39 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,674
Quote Quote by danshawen View Post
Well, of course it can! This happens all the time in a loop of conducting wire rotating in a magnetic field, such as in that of a dynamo or other electrical generator.

The electron is a charged particle. As the loop rotates, the direction of the magnetic field through the loop changes. This generates an AC current in the wire. The speed of the electrons in the wire change from zero to plus or minus a voltage that depends on the strength of the changing magnetic field.

How could it be that no one else here gets this, or am I missing some nuance of the question?
You are correct. A static (in time) magnetic field can also induce an EMF if the area in Faraday's law is changing with respect to the magnetic field. This is because to a particle in motion relative to a magnetic field, even if the magnetic field is static, the Lorentz transformation to a moving frame of reference will produce an electric field.

In the moving frame of the moving particle (moving current loop), there IS an electric field and an induced emf.

Register to reply