Diffusion of ions through different temperature bodies of water

In summary: Patil, an expert summarizer, summarizes the conversation by saying "In summary, the researcher is investigating the process of diffusion and how soluble gases can dissolve at higher concentrations in colder liquids. The question posed is whether ions in a cold container with a high concentration of dissolved gas will diffuse into a connected warmer container due to a concentration gradient. The temperature of the water in both containers will impact the diffusion, as the local diffusion coefficient and mass flux will vary with temperature. It is also noted that if the solute is at maximum concentration in both containers, but the temperature of the water differs, diffusion will occur from high concentration to low concentration. This can result in some of the solute being released from the hot container due to over saturation."
ejnovek
Background:
I'm currently doing a research project on diffusion. I've been thinking about how soluble gases can dissolve at higher concentrations in a colder liquid than a hot liquid.

Question:
If there are two connected containers, one with hot water and the other with cold water, and the cold container contained a high concentration of dissolved gas, would the ions in the cold container diffuse into the warmer container because of the concentration gradient? How does the temperature of water in both containers impact the diffusion?

Additionally, if the solute in both containers is at its maximum concentration, yet the concentration of the solute in both containers is different (b/c the water containers differ in temperature), will the solute diffuse from high concentration (i.e. the cold container) to low concentration (i.e. the hot container)? Will some of the solute become released from the hot container as a result of over saturation from this diffusion?

solubility-co2-water.png

Many thanks to anyone who answers these questions.

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
ejnovek said:
Background:
I'm currently doing a research project on diffusion. I've been thinking about how soluble gases can dissolve at higher concentrations in a colder liquid than a hot liquid.

Question:
If there are two connected containers, one with hot water and the other with cold water, and the cold container contained a high concentration of dissolved gas, would the ions in the cold container diffuse into the warmer container because of the concentration gradient?
Yes. But, what is the nature of how the containers are connected? This will affect things. Also, are the liquids within the containers being agitated?
How does the temperature of water in both containers impact the diffusion?
Just as you'd expect. The local diffusion coefficient will vary with spatial position as a result of the temperature variations. The local mass flux will be equal to the temperature-dependent diffusion coefficient times the local concentration gradient.
Additionally, if the solute in both containers is at its maximum concentration, yet the concentration of the solute in both containers is different (b/c the water containers differ in temperature), will the solute diffuse from high concentration (i.e. the cold container) to low concentration (i.e. the hot container)?
Yes.
Will some of the solute become released from the hot container as a result of over saturation from this diffusion?
Yes.

Chet

1. What is diffusion?

Diffusion is the process by which particles, such as ions, move from an area of higher concentration to an area of lower concentration. This movement occurs due to random motion and does not require any external force.

2. How does temperature affect diffusion of ions through water?

Temperature has a direct impact on the rate of diffusion. As temperature increases, the particles gain more kinetic energy and move faster, leading to a faster rate of diffusion. On the other hand, lower temperatures result in slower diffusion rates.

3. What factors can influence the diffusion of ions through water?

Apart from temperature, other factors that can affect the diffusion of ions through water include the concentration gradient, size of the particles, and the presence of barriers or obstacles that may hinder their movement.

4. How does the size of the ions affect their diffusion through water?

The size of the ions can greatly impact their diffusion through water. Smaller ions have a higher diffusion rate as they can move more easily through the gaps between water molecules. Larger ions, on the other hand, may face more resistance and diffuse at a slower rate.

5. Can diffusion of ions through water be affected by external forces?

Yes, diffusion of ions through water can be influenced by external forces such as electric fields, pressure, or the presence of other substances. These forces can alter the movement of ions and impact their diffusion rate.