Calculating Tire/Tyre Forces in Weight Distribution of 1400kg Car

In summary, the conversation discusses the distribution of force on each tire/tyre of a car with a mass of 1400kg. The participants mention T1 and T2 values of 2820N and 4050N, respectively, but question how this could be since it does not equal the expected value of 13734N. They also consider the possibility of using the equations d1/d2 = T2/T1 and T1+T2=mg to calculate T1 and T2, but this does not yield accurate results. The conversation then moves on to a more challenging problem involving the addition of a 100kg weight on the car, and the participants discuss possible tactics to determine the changes in the normal force
danielI
This is a lill awkward question but I need to know. A car has the mass 1400kg. What force will be distributed on each tire/tyre?
Code:
 |       |----d1--|G|-d2-|      |
 |-------O---------------O---------
         T1             T2

G is the mass center and d1 = 1386mm, d2 = 964mm. First of all, it (the paper) says T1 = 2820N and T2 = 4050N. But 4050+2820 = 6870 != mg = 13734. How could this be and how would I calculate T1 and T2? My logic (and I guess my best, of many, shots)told me that maybe d1/d2 = T2/T1. We also know that T1+T2=mg. So I used this and got T1 = 2418N and T2 = 11315N. Not quite correct.

/daniel

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
it appears that if t1+t2 were doubled it would account for the extra force missing and for the other two wheels on the other side of the car.

A car has 4 wheels?:biggrin:

Cheers mate, cheers!:tongue:

Now to a little harder problem.

A 100kg weight is added on the red spot. Calculate the changes in the normal force reactions at the three wheels due to the weight of the box.

http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/7644/car7pu.png

In the last one I could use the equations d1/d2 = T2/T1 and T1+T2=mg. But for this one I only can use the last condition (A+B+C=mg). The only tactics I could come up with was to split the box up in (three?) pieces and move them (hopefully under each wheel) and add torques if necessary. But this seems so comprehensive, and I'm not even sure it will work.

Any help please?

Last edited by a moderator:
Please? I'm not finding any other relationships.

1. How do you calculate the weight distribution of a 1400kg car?

To calculate the weight distribution of a car, you need to first determine the total weight of the car (1400kg in this case). Then, you can use a weight distribution formula, which takes into account the wheelbase, front and rear axle weights, and center of gravity of the car. This formula is typically provided by the car manufacturer or can be found in vehicle dynamics textbooks.

2. What are tire/tyre forces and why are they important in weight distribution?

Tire/tyre forces refer to the forces that act on the tires of a car, including vertical, lateral, and longitudinal forces. These forces play a crucial role in weight distribution because they determine how the weight of the car is distributed on each tire. This affects the car's handling, stability, and overall performance.

3. How does weight distribution affect a car's performance?

Weight distribution has a significant impact on a car's performance. It affects the car's handling, braking, and acceleration, as well as its overall stability and balance. A well-balanced weight distribution can result in better handling and improved cornering abilities, while an imbalanced weight distribution can cause issues such as understeer or oversteer.

4. Can weight distribution be adjusted on a car?

Yes, weight distribution can be adjusted on a car. This can be done by changing the position of heavy components, such as the engine or fuel tank, or by adding or removing weight from specific areas of the car. However, it is essential to make these adjustments carefully, as they can significantly impact the car's performance and handling.

5. How can calculating tire/tyre forces help improve a car's weight distribution?

Calculating tire/tyre forces can provide valuable information about how the weight of the car is distributed on each tire. By understanding these forces, adjustments can be made to improve weight distribution and, ultimately, the car's performance. For example, if the front tires are experiencing more vertical force than the rear tires, weight can be shifted towards the rear of the car to achieve a more balanced weight distribution.