Final Year Project Ideas: Astronomy with a Celestron Telescope

In summary, humans have been speculating on the existence of worlds around other Suns for thousands of years, but there was no evidence that any existed until the first discovery was made in 1995. Since then, more than 100 extrasolar planets have been detected around solar-type stars. Some of these planets are large, about the size of Jupiter, very hot because of their proximity to the star, and orbit their parent stars every few days at a short distance. Because these "hot Jupiters" have such small orbits, there are a significant fraction of them crossing the disks of their parent stars, an event called a transit. These transits are likely enough, frequent enough, and obvious enough that ground-based transit searches made by experienced
Cyclotron
Hi there,

I am entering my 3rd year of my physics degree and I recently purchased a Celestron 11'' Schmidt Cassegrain telescope. My lecturer advised me before the summer holidays to work on an area of astronomy/astrophysics for my final year project.
Would anyone have any ideas on what I could do it on also using the telescope? I start back at the beginning of October and the project starts aroun January. Its a good time away so I have plenty of time to think it through.
Thanks

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Find an already discovered exoplanet and then join the search for new ones.
Humans have been speculating on the existence of worlds around other Suns for thousands of years, but there was no evidence that any existed until the first discovery was made in 1995. Since then, more than 100 extrasolar planets have been detected around solar-type stars. Some of these planets are large, about the size of Jupiter, very hot because of their proximity to the star, and orbit their parent stars every few days at a short distance. Because these "hot Jupiters" have such small orbits, there are a significant fraction of them crossing the disks of their parent stars, an event called a transit. These transits are likely enough, frequent enough, and obvious enough that ground-based transit searches made by experienced amateur astronomers can be succesful.
http://www.aavso.org/observing/programs/ccd/transitsearch.shtml

Last edited by a moderator:
That is what I always dreamed of going into after my education ie planet hunting. This is amazing! The problem is though I live in Dublin, and Dublin does not offer any high mountains to escape some of the atmospheric noise.. Is it still possible to observe from sea level? Also clear nights often rare in this country too.

1. What is a Final Year Project?

A Final Year Project is a culminating project that students complete during their final year of study in a particular subject. It allows students to apply their knowledge and skills gained throughout their studies to a real-world problem or question.

2. Why should I choose Astronomy as my Final Year Project?

Astronomy is a fascinating and constantly evolving field of study. With the use of a Celestron Telescope, you will have the opportunity to explore and discover the wonders of our universe. It is also a great way to develop skills in data analysis, observation, and critical thinking.

3. What are some possible project ideas for Astronomy with a Celestron Telescope?

Some possible project ideas could include studying the properties of different celestial objects, such as stars and planets, tracking and analyzing the movement of comets or other space phenomena, or conducting research on a specific astronomical topic, such as black holes or the origins of the universe.

4. Do I need prior experience in Astronomy to complete this project?

No, prior experience in Astronomy is not necessary. However, having a basic understanding of the subject and a strong interest in space and the universe would be beneficial.

5. What resources are available to help me with my Final Year Project on Astronomy with a Celestron Telescope?

There are many resources available, including books, online databases, and scientific journals. Additionally, you can seek guidance from your professors or reach out to experts in the field for advice and support. The Celestron website also offers helpful tips and tutorials for using their telescopes.