The name of consciousness-science?

• Medical
  • Thread starter rune
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around a new science discipline that aims to understand the physical basis of consciousness. The discipline was described as either computational neuroscience, connectionism, cognitive science, or cognitive neuroscience. It has been around since the 1970's and covers a broad range of topics related to mental processes in humans, animals, and possibly machines. The name of the lecturer was not mentioned.
rune
I remember a few years ago I read about a new kind of mind science that was just starting, they had a guest-lecture at my university I think, but I can't remember what they called the new discipline.
It was described as a new science discipline aiming at getting a better understanding for the physical basis of consciousness, or something like that.

Anyone know the name I'm looking for?

Biology news on Phys.org
computational neuroscience? connectionism? Cognitive science

Cognitive neuroscience, perhaps? It's a fairly vague description you've offered, so that's the best guess I can offer.

Sounds like cognitive science. As a term, I think it has been around since the 1970's, so it is fairly "new". It is a very broad area of study, concerned with mental representations and processes not only as they exist in humans, but also in animals, and possibly machines.

Who was the lecturer?

1. What is consciousness science?

Consciousness science is a field of study that seeks to understand the nature of consciousness, or the subjective experience of being aware and self-aware. It combines research from various disciplines, such as neuroscience, psychology, and philosophy, to explore the origins, functions, and mechanisms of consciousness.

2. How is consciousness studied in science?

Consciousness is studied in science through various methods, including brain imaging techniques, behavioral experiments, and theoretical models. Researchers also use techniques such as meditation and hypnosis to explore altered states of consciousness. However, the study of consciousness is still a complex and ongoing process, and there is no one definitive approach.

3. What are some current theories on the nature of consciousness?

Some current theories on consciousness include the Integrated Information Theory, which suggests that consciousness arises from the integration of complex information in the brain, and the Global Workspace Theory, which proposes that consciousness is the result of information being shared and processed in a global workspace in the brain.

4. Can consciousness be scientifically measured?

Consciousness is difficult to measure objectively, but scientists have developed various tools and techniques to assess different aspects of consciousness. For example, brain imaging techniques can measure brain activity associated with conscious experiences, and self-report measures can capture subjective experiences of consciousness.

5. How does the study of consciousness impact our understanding of the world?

The study of consciousness has significant implications for our understanding of the world and our place in it. It can help us understand fundamental questions about the nature of reality, the mind-body relationship, and the origins of consciousness. It also has practical applications in fields such as healthcare, artificial intelligence, and psychology.