Russia's Problems: Can Putin Handle It?

• News
  • Thread starter FZ+
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Russian
In summary, the conversation discusses the current problems facing Russia, including the upcoming elections, lack of justice, and ongoing crisis in Chechnya. The potential for Russia to become a totalitarian state is also mentioned, along with concerns about declining population and potential conflicts with China and the Middle East. The group ponders whether Putin is capable of handling these issues and if the US can play a positive role in resolving them.
FZ+
For once, I almost agree with Ben-Ariel. (Zero, I think I need my medication now...)

Russia does have, in my mind, a number of problems right now.

(1) The questionable activity regarding the forthcoming elections - one party crushed, another opponent imprisioned...

(2) The lack of justice in some cases. Russia does appear to be making a step in the totalitarian direction, of late.

(3) The continued crisis in Chechnya, which is serving to radicalise both sides. Soon, negotiation may be impossible, and we may really get another Israel-Palestine situation.

Any idea of a solution? Can Putin handle it, or does he have to go? Can the US exert any postive pressure to resolve Russia's turmoils? Discuss.

Physics news on Phys.org
One problem you forgot to mention was that Russia is losing people. Russian Women on average bear 1.2 children each. To maintain population, women need to bear atleast 2.01 children. Also, emmigration is also crippling russia's population. This will is creating a HUGE problem in the economy. If you have the time, Read Pat Buchanan's prophetic book: Death of the West. It has some very scary statistics. In it he predicts that a middle east coalition and china will engulf siberia and that russia will be pushed back east of the Urals where Russia will become a totalitarian state.

Originally posted by Mattius_
One problem you forgot to mention was that Russia is losing people. Russian Women on average bear 1.2 children each. To maintain population, women need to bear atleast 2.01 children. Also, emmigration is also crippling russia's population. This will is creating a HUGE problem in the economy. If you have the time, Read Pat Buchanan's prophetic book: Death of the West. It has some very scary statistics. In it he predicts that a middle east coalition and china will engulf siberia and that russia will be pushed back east of the Urals where Russia will become a totalitarian state.

I need to read this book. I seem to be the resident China conspiracy theorist :eek:

1. What are the main problems facing Russia currently?

Russia is facing several major problems, including economic instability, political corruption, and international tensions. Economic issues such as low oil prices and sanctions have led to a decrease in government revenue and an increase in poverty. Corruption within the government has also hindered progress and led to widespread dissatisfaction among the population. Additionally, Russia's involvement in conflicts with neighboring countries, such as Ukraine and Georgia, has strained its relationships with other nations.

2. How has Putin's leadership impacted Russia's problems?

Putin's leadership has had both positive and negative impacts on Russia's problems. On one hand, his strong leadership has helped stabilize the economy and maintain control over the country. However, his authoritarian approach has also led to a lack of political freedom and transparency, contributing to corruption and discontent among citizens. Additionally, his aggressive foreign policies have further isolated Russia on the global stage.

3. Can Putin effectively address Russia's economic issues?

It is unclear if Putin can effectively address Russia's economic issues. While he has implemented certain measures, such as raising the retirement age and investing in infrastructure, these efforts have not been enough to fully address the challenges facing the economy. Furthermore, his close ties with wealthy oligarchs and limited economic diversification make it difficult for him to enact meaningful change.

4. What steps can Putin take to address political corruption in Russia?

In order to address political corruption, Putin could implement stricter laws and regulations, increase transparency and accountability within the government, and create a more competitive political environment. However, given his own involvement in the corrupt system, it is unlikely that he will take significant action against it.

5. How do Russia's problems impact its relationship with other countries?

The problems facing Russia, such as economic instability and political corruption, have had a negative impact on its relationships with other countries. The country's aggressive foreign policies and involvement in conflicts have led to strained relationships with many neighboring nations and have also resulted in international sanctions. Additionally, the lack of political freedom and transparency in Russia has caused tension with Western democracies.