Designing an Elevator for a Hospital: Maximum Speed and Newton's Laws Explained

In summary, the question is asking for the maximum speed of an elevator designed for a hospital, where the force exerted on a passenger cannot exceed 1.6 times their weight. The elevator accelerates upward with constant acceleration for a distance of 3m and then slows down. The answer provided is 5.9 m/s, but the solution process is explained and completed in the conversation. The final velocity can be calculated using a kinematic equation.
physstudent1
"You are designing an elevator for a hospital. The force exerted on a passenger by the floor of the elevator is not to exceed 1.6 times the passenger's weight. The elevator accelerates upward with constant acceleration for a distance of 3m and then slows down. What is the maximum speed of the elevator?"

The answer in the back of the book is 5.9 m/s.

When I drew a FBD and solved for acceleration I came up with 5.9 though. I made my equation 1.6mg - mg = ma. Then I canceled m out of everything and got a to be 5.9 m/s^2 what did I do wrong? Obviously this cannot be the acceleration if the max speed is this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Excellent work so far, but you need to finish the problem. You have calculated the net acceleration acting on the elevator. From the problem, we see the elevator undergoes constant accleration through a displacement of 3m. Kinematically, is there an equation that we can use that gives the final velocity in terms of the initial velocity (zero), acceleration, and displacement?

yeah.

Oh I see thanks alot:)

1. What are Newton's laws?

Newton's laws are three fundamental principles of classical mechanics that describe the motion of objects in the presence of external forces. They were formulated by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century and are still used today to understand and predict the behavior of objects.

2. What is the first law of motion?

The first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

3. How does the second law of motion relate force, mass, and acceleration?

The second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be expressed mathematically as F=ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

4. What is the third law of motion?

The third law of motion, also known as the law of action and reaction, states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force back on the first object.

5. How can Newton's laws be applied to real-world problems?

Newton's laws can be used to analyze and solve a wide range of problems in different fields, such as engineering, physics, and sports. They can be applied to understand the motion of objects, the forces acting on them, and how they will respond to those forces. For example, engineers use Newton's laws to design structures and machines, and athletes use them to improve their performance in sports.