Charge to Mass Ratio of Pi-Particle: Calculate & Compare to Electron

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the charge to mass ratio of the (pi)- particle of He (3 nucleons) 2 electrons and comparing it to the charge to mass ratio of the electron. The equation q/m = charge to mass ratio is used, and it is noted that all subatomic particles have a charge of +/- (1.6 x 10^-19 C). The question asks to predict which particle has a greater mass - the electron or pion - and to justify the answer using charge mass ratios. Part B asks to use the value of the elementary charge (1.6x10^-19 C) to calculate the mass of the pion particle in kilograms and compare it to the mass of the electron. The
quickslant
My last question that needs to be completed today..

Determine the charge to mass ratio of the (pi)- particle of He (3 nucleons) 2 electrons. The charge to mass ratio of the electron is 1.76 x 10^11 C/kg

Equation:
q/m = charge to mass ratio
all sub atomic particles have a charge of +/- (1.6 x10^ -19C)

a)predict which particle has a greater mass - the electron or pion. Justify your answer referring to charge mass ratios

b)Use the value of th elementary charge (1.6x10^-19 C) to calculate the mass of the pion particle in kilograms. Compare the mass of the pion to the mass of the electron..

Can someone point me in the right direction i have no clue where to begin.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
nevermind figured it out.

I have a similar question that I can't figure out part B to, does anyone know how?

1. What is the charge to mass ratio of a pi-particle?

The charge to mass ratio of a pi-particle is a physical quantity that describes the relationship between its charge and its mass. It is typically denoted by the symbol q/m and has the unit of coulombs per kilogram (C/kg).

2. How is the charge to mass ratio of a pi-particle calculated?

The charge to mass ratio of a pi-particle can be calculated by dividing its charge by its mass. The charge of a pi-particle is typically considered to be +1 or -1, while its mass is approximately 270 times that of an electron (9.11 x 10^-31 kg). Therefore, the charge to mass ratio of a pi-particle is approximately 3.7 x 10^7 C/kg.

3. How does the charge to mass ratio of a pi-particle compare to that of an electron?

The charge to mass ratio of a pi-particle is significantly greater than that of an electron, which has a value of approximately 1.76 x 10^11 C/kg. This means that a pi-particle has a much smaller mass for the same amount of charge, making it a more massive particle.

4. Why is the charge to mass ratio of a pi-particle important?

The charge to mass ratio of a pi-particle is important because it helps us understand the fundamental properties of this particle. It also allows us to compare it to other particles, such as the electron, and gain a better understanding of their differences and similarities.

5. How is the charge to mass ratio of a pi-particle measured?

The charge to mass ratio of a pi-particle is typically measured using a device called a mass spectrometer. This device uses electric and magnetic fields to separate particles based on their charge to mass ratio, allowing scientists to accurately measure this value for different particles.