How Do I Determine the Quantity on a Graph Using Fundamental Theorem?

In summary, the problem is looking for the upper and lower estimates of the total distance using rectangles. The question asks if the right endpoints should be used for the initial rectangles or if the left endpoints should be used when the graph begins to slope downward. In the second part, the problem asks to copy the diagram and show the quantity for each expression. The expressions represent different distances or values on the graph, such as the distance on PQ or the average value of the function.
User Name
http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/4549/bbav9.png

The problem states that it wants the upper and lower estimate of total distance. Therefore, I used rectangles to solve for it. However, let's say I'm working on upper limits. For my initial rectangles, I use the right endpoints, but then it begins to slope downward, so at that point, if I use right endpoints, I am below the graph. Do I continue using right endpoints, or do I switch to left endpoints to have my rectangles stay over the graph?

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/22/bb2by3.png <--I forgot to put on there that this curve = f(x)

This problem states... for each quantity in questions a-d, copy the diagram and show the quantity on the diagram. Explain what the expression means in terms of the graph. Note that F'(x) = f(x).

For example if the question showed the quantity square root of (b-a)^2 + (f(b)-f(a))^2 then you would explain that this is the distance on PQ and you would draw a line segment PQ on the diagram.

a) f(b)-f(a)

b) f(b)-f(a)/b-a

c) F(b) - F(a)

d) F(b) - F(a)/b-a

I have no idea how to start this.. b and d both seem like slope equations to me, but I don't know the difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
1st problem, switch. Or better, use midpoint rectangles, or simpsons rule.

2nd part,

a) part a perpendicular line, long enough to cross the segment from B(b) to q. The distance from the point of intersect, and q, is what you want.

b) average change, gradient, gradient of secant connting those 2 points.
c)Area between b and a. shade it in.
d) the average value of the function. Its the height of the rectable with base b to a, with the same area as part c.

1. What is the definition of area?

The area is the measure of the size of a surface or region in two-dimensional space. It is typically measured in square units, such as square meters or square feet.

2. How is area calculated?

The formula for calculating the area depends on the shape of the surface. For example, the area of a rectangle can be calculated by multiplying its length by its width, while the area of a circle can be calculated by multiplying pi (3.14) by the square of its radius.

3. What is the fundamental theorem of area?

The fundamental theorem of area states that the area under a curve on a graph can be calculated by finding the antiderivative of the function and evaluating it at the upper and lower limits of the interval.

4. How is the fundamental theorem of area used in real-world applications?

The fundamental theorem of area is used in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics, to calculate the area under a curve and, therefore, solve problems related to distance, velocity, acceleration, and other quantities.

5. What is the difference between area and perimeter?

While area is the measurement of the surface inside a shape, perimeter is the measurement of the distance around the outside of a shape. Perimeter is typically measured in linear units, such as meters or feet, while area is measured in square units.