Exploring Career Options with a BSM&E and MA in Maths

In summary, the individual is considering further education and is unsure whether to pursue an MA in mathematics or an MS in mechanical engineering. They have a background in mechanical engineering and enjoy both ME and mathematics. They are looking to diversify their skills and are interested in career paths involving fluids, thermal, and solar. The speaker suggests that an MS in mechanical engineering may be more beneficial for employment and job opportunities.
1macatac
I have a B.S.M.E. and now considering going back to get a MA in mathematics. Would this be a good career move or should I consider a MS in mechanical? I enjoy ME however I also enjoy mathematics. I am wanting skills to be diversified. What would be my career paths?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What kind of work and projects interest you the most?

My interest lies in fluids, thermal and solar. I enjoy mathematics involved.

It's tough to say. I consider an MS in mechanical to be pretty diverse as it is. I guess it will depend on what part of industry you would like to be in. IMO, the MSME will serve you better in terms of employment and job function. Again, that's just an opinion.

1. What career options are available with a BSM&E and MA in Maths?

With a BSM&E and MA in Maths, you have a wide range of career options in both the business and mathematics fields. You could work as a data analyst, financial analyst, operations researcher, actuary, statistician, or management consultant, among others.

2. What skills and knowledge will I gain from this degree combination?

Through this degree combination, you will gain strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a deep understanding of mathematical concepts and their applications in business and economics. You will also develop critical thinking, communication, and teamwork skills.

3. Is it necessary to have a background in both business and maths to pursue this degree combination?

No, it is not necessary to have a background in both fields to pursue this degree combination. However, having a strong foundation in maths and an interest in business and economics will be beneficial in understanding the coursework and pursuing a career in this field.

4. Can this degree combination lead to a successful and financially stable career?

Yes, this degree combination can lead to a successful and financially stable career. The skills and knowledge gained from this degree are highly sought after in various industries, and there is a high demand for professionals with a background in both business and maths.

5. Are there any specific industries or companies that look for candidates with a BSM&E and MA in Maths?

Industries that typically look for candidates with a BSM&E and MA in Maths include finance, insurance, consulting, technology, healthcare, and government. Companies such as Google, Amazon, Deloitte, and J.P. Morgan are known to hire individuals with this degree combination.