Proving an Inequality Using Cauchy Formula: Tips and Tricks

• Thread starter pixel01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, the conversation discusses proving the inequality (a^2)/b+(b^2)/c+(c^2)/a >= a+b+c using Cauchy's formula. The speaker struggles to prove it and requests help, but then updates that they have solved it themselves. They also mention another inequality they need to prove and ask for assistance. The summary concludes with the speaker explaining their approach so far and asking for hints to continue.
pixel01
Can anyone help me to prove this inequality:

(a^2)/b+(b^2)/c+(c^2)/a >= a+b+c.

I know i must use Cauchy formula, but can not prove it.

Thank you .

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean, that you don't know how to prove cauchy's inequality? Or that you can not come to that point where you have the equation on the form of cauchy's inequality?

Thank you. I've solved it myself. This is one of the homework series that i have to use cauchy's inequality.

Can you help me to prove this one:

a/(a+b)+b/(b+c)+c/(c+a) > sqrt(a/(b+c)) + sqrt(b/(a+c)) + sqrt(c/(a+b)).

pixel01 said:
Thank you. I've solved it myself. This is one of the homework series that i have to use cauchy's inequality.

Can you help me to prove this one:

a/(a+b)+b/(b+c)+c/(c+a) > sqrt(a/(b+c)) + sqrt(b/(a+c)) + sqrt(c/(a+b)).

what have you done so far?..

My idea by now is :
a/(a+b)<1, b/(b+c)< 1 and c/(c+a)<1, so the left hand side is smaller than sqrt(a/(a+b))+sqrt(b/(b+c))+sqrt(c/(c+a)).
Then I try to compare the right hand side with sqrt(a/(a+b))+sqrt(b/(b+c))+sqrt(c/(c+a)) because they are both in the square root type (i hope it will be easier). But it doesn't work so far. Can you give me some hints.

1. What is an inequality?

An inequality is a mathematical statement that shows a relationship between two values, where one value is less than or greater than the other.

2. How do you solve an inequality?

To solve an inequality, you need to follow the same rules as solving an equation. However, when multiplying or dividing by a negative number, you must flip the inequality sign.

3. What is the difference between an inequality and an equation?

An inequality shows a relationship between two values that are not equal, while an equation shows a relationship between two values that are equal.

4. Can you graph an inequality?

Yes, you can graph an inequality on a number line to represent all the possible values that make the inequality true.

5. How do you know if a solution is included or not included in an inequality?

If the solution is represented by a solid dot on the number line, it is included in the inequality. If the solution is represented by an open dot, it is not included in the inequality.