Quantum computing/information grad school

In summary, the speaker is planning to apply for a PhD program in theoretical work and is interested in programs that specialize in quantum computation/information. They are also looking for schools that are not top-ranked due to their low GPA. They are seeking information on the characteristics of these programs and potential job opportunities outside of academia. They are currently doing experimental work but want to shift to theory and are considering getting a high GPA and GRE score to improve their chances. They are also considering doing a project in a math department to gain experience in theoretical physics. They are open to hearing others' opinions and suggestions. Additionally, the expert suggests considering Montana State University, which specializes in quantum optics and information science.
tigigi
I'm planning to apply for PhD program next fall. I'm interested in doing theoretical work, and plan to apply for programs that has faculty doing quantum computation/information or related stuff. I found that a lot of top schools have that, but I'm also looking for some schools that is not that top since my gpa is just about 3 right now. (I'm right now in my second year of master. my gpa in the first year of master was 3, and I wasn't a physics major in my under.)

I'm wondering if there's anyone working in this area could share with me what they know about this kind of program. e.g. :The characteristics of this kind of program in different schools. If I'm not sure being a faculty at school after graduating or not, what kind of choices would be to find a job outside of campus? Or just share your thought about doing research in the area ?

I'm right now doing experimental work in condensed matter, and would like to shift to do theory. My gpa is low, and I'm thinking that I should do something to tell people that I'm able to do it. What I could think of is get high gpa from this semester on, get a high gre subject score. I get a possible chance to do a project with a prof in math dept, and I'm thinking that maybe I should do it to have some experience in doing theoretical physics related work. That might be a plus for me to apply for theoretical physics.

These are all what I can think about to help me apply for programs successfully. I'd like to hear what other people saying, other's opinion about it. I appreciate it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You don't happen to go to Wayne State U do you?

Consider Montana State University

You might look into applying to Montana State University for graduate school. We are currently doing research in quantum optics and information science, as well as other branches of physics.
Our website is www.physics.montana.edu

1. What is quantum computing/information grad school?

Quantum computing/information grad school is a graduate program that focuses on the study of quantum mechanics and its applications in computing and information processing. It combines principles from physics, mathematics, computer science, and engineering to develop new technologies and methods for solving complex problems.

2. What are the prerequisites for quantum computing/information grad school?

The prerequisites for quantum computing/information grad school may vary depending on the specific program, but typically include a strong background in mathematics, computer science, and physics. Some programs may also require coursework in quantum mechanics, linear algebra, and programming languages.

3. What can I do with a degree in quantum computing/information?

Graduates of quantum computing/information grad school can pursue a variety of career paths, such as working in research and development for technology companies, government agencies, or academic institutions. They may also work as consultants, entrepreneurs, or educators in the field of quantum computing and information.

4. What are the skills and knowledge I can expect to gain from a quantum computing/information grad school program?

A quantum computing/information grad school program will provide you with a strong foundation in quantum mechanics, computer science, and mathematics. Additionally, you will learn about cutting-edge technologies and applications in quantum computing and information, as well as gain hands-on experience with quantum hardware and software.

5. Are there any specific research opportunities or projects in quantum computing/information grad school?

Many quantum computing/information grad school programs offer research opportunities for students to work on cutting-edge projects in collaboration with industry partners or faculty members. These projects may involve developing new algorithms, designing and testing quantum hardware, or exploring the potential applications of quantum computing and information in various fields.