NVidia Geforce 8800 GTS 320MB Superclocked

• Thread starter |)a\/1d
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nvidia
In summary: GTX and I wouldn't expect one to OC to those levels as well.In summary, the conversation discusses the merits of getting the nVidia Geforce 8800 GTS 320MB Superclocked for $300. Some users recommend focusing on education first before investing in a video card, while others suggest the 7600 GT is sufficient for their gaming needs. The conversation also touches on the difficulty of overclocking nVidia cards and the possibility of using external programs for better performance. The benefits of having an 8800 GTX are also mentioned, such as higher resolutions and better support for DX10. Some users also warn about the risks of overclocking without proper cooling. Overall, the conversation concludes
|)a\/1d
Should i get the nVidia Geforce 8800 GTS 320MB Superclocked, its $300 and the video performance is very good and its already factory overclocked with a lifetime warrenty. Does anyone have it cause I'm open to comments and stuff.

Computer science news on Phys.org
i used to be a video card addict, i don't think it's worth it. education first! unless you're already past that.

What kind of games do you play?

russ_watters said:
What kind of games do you play?

ahh just Warcraft 3 and some other games like u know ocassional CS and other games, Halo, Halo 2 and Halo 3 when it comes out, my OS is vista ultimate so i need a good video card for the Aero features and stuff.

I got a 7600 GT and it handles the graphics for all of the games fine on high for every setting. Are you hooking up to a LCD tv or a monitor?

|)a\/1d said:
Should i get the nVidia Geforce 8800 GTS 320MB Superclocked, its $300 and the video performance is very good and its already factory overclocked with a lifetime warrenty. Does anyone have it cause I'm open to comments and stuff.
What's it currently clocked at? I've heard you can typically increase the core of the 8800 GTS from the std 500MHz to 640MHz and the memory from 1600MHz to 1800MHz which would bring it's performance on a par with the much more costly 8800 GTX!

Only problem is it's a little more difficult to overclock Nvidia cards these days as their latest drivers don't support Coolbits.

Last edited by a moderator:
Art said:
Only problem is it's a little more difficult to overclock Nvidia cards these days as their latest drivers don't support Coolbits.

You have got that right! I tried to overclock my video card and it just failed to boot correctly every time after I increaced the core clock.

Stevedye56 said:
You have got that right! I tried to overclock my video card and it just failed to boot correctly every time after I increaced the core clock.
Have you tried this? http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=725 I haven't used it myself but I've heard it works very well with Nvidia cards.

Art said:
Have you tried this? http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=725 I haven't used it myself but I've heard it works very well with Nvidia cards.

No I haven't tried that program yet, although it does look good. I'll try that out soon! Thanks for the link.

Art said:
What's it currently clocked at? I've heard you can typically increase the core of the 8800 GTS from the std 500MHz to 640MHz and the memory from 1600MHz to 1800MHz which would bring it's performance on a par with the much more costly 8800 GTX!

i know it can almost beat the nvidia 8800 GTX, right now its 575 for core and 1700 for memory. Is that good? its the superclocked edition too, so if it overheats i can get a free refund for lifetime. :)

I love nVidia cards I have never had a problem with any of their products. Some people apparently have a lot of DOA products from them but I have never had the problem. It sounds like a good card if you are just going to be running CS and WOW. I don't think you need to go crazy into the $1,000 cards.

I currently have a standard 8800GTX and had an 8800GTS before that. You simply cannot beat the performance... hands down. The thing that it really comes down to is what resolutions you plan on running at. The 8800's really shine when you run really high resolutions along with anisotropic filtering and anti-aliasing fully cranked. If you mainly run mid-level resolutions (1024x768-1280x1024 as an example) i would save the money and go with an 8600 series. If you still feel as though there is not enough performance... drop in another one and run in SLI. You'd also still have less money invested as opposed to going outright with a GTS.

The main reason i went with a GTX is because i have a 22" widescreen monitor (1440x1050) that I play everything on. I also wanted to be able to fully max out A-filtering and AA without any hiccups. The DX10 support was also a big player. At the same time though I bought my GTX in December of '06 before the lower and mid-level cards came out.

B. Elliott said:
I currently have a standard 8800GTX and had an 8800GTS before that. You simply cannot beat the performance... hands down. The thing that it really comes down to is what resolutions you plan on running at. The 8800's really shine when you run really high resolutions along with anisotropic filtering and anti-aliasing fully cranked. If you mainly run mid-level resolutions (1024x768-1280x1024 as an example) i would save the money and go with an 8600 series. If you still feel as though there is not enough performance... drop in another one and run in SLI. You'd also still have less money invested as opposed to going outright with a GTS.

The main reason i went with a GTX is because i have a 22" widescreen monitor (1440x1050) that I play everything on. I also wanted to be able to fully max out A-filtering and AA without any hiccups. The DX10 support was also a big player. At the same time though I bought my GTX in December of '06 before the lower and mid-level cards came out.

my monitor is 1680x1050 so is that good? like would the 8800GTS be good for 1680x1050?

I'd also be wary of overclocking the cards without water cooling. My GTS card bit the dust shortly after upping the frequency to 600mhz. Thankfully the companies have a lengthy manufacturers warranty.

I do have to add though that an overclocked GTS still doesn't come close to the performance level of a GTX. The GTS has two less shader cores (6 vs 8), 96 vs 128 stream processors, a 320 vs 384 bit memory interface and less pixel pipes (can't remember the exact numbers).

The GTS still ain't no slouch though!

|)a\/1d said:
my monitor is 1680x1050 so is that good? like would the 8800GTS be good for 1680x1050?

now that's some resolution. If I were you i'd go with the GTS. You'd also still have the option of going SLI if your motherboard supports it. I loved the GTS though. Honestly here was only a handful of instances where I noticed a considerable difference (if any at all) between the GTX and GTS... mostly in various benchmarks. When the next level of games start coming out (DX10 support becomes a temporary standard) the differences may start to become obvious. The memory bottleneck is still an issue though.

1. What are the specifications of the NVidia Geforce 8800 GTS 320MB Superclocked?

The NVidia Geforce 8800 GTS 320MB Superclocked has a core clock speed of 650MHz, a memory clock speed of 1600MHz, and a memory size of 320MB. It also has 96 stream processors and supports DirectX 10.

2. What is the difference between the Superclocked version and the regular version of the NVidia Geforce 8800 GTS 320MB?

The Superclocked version of the NVidia Geforce 8800 GTS 320MB comes pre-overclocked, meaning it has a higher core clock and memory clock speed compared to the regular version. This results in improved performance and faster graphics processing.

3. Can the NVidia Geforce 8800 GTS 320MB Superclocked run modern games?

Yes, the NVidia Geforce 8800 GTS 320MB Superclocked is still capable of running modern games, though it may struggle with newer and more demanding titles. It is recommended to play games at lower graphics settings for optimal performance.

4. Is the NVidia Geforce 8800 GTS 320MB Superclocked compatible with my computer?

The NVidia Geforce 8800 GTS 320MB Superclocked is compatible with most computers that have a PCI Express x16 slot and meet the minimum system requirements. It is recommended to check with your computer's manufacturer for compatibility before purchasing.

5. How does the NVidia Geforce 8800 GTS 320MB Superclocked compare to newer graphics cards?

The NVidia Geforce 8800 GTS 320MB Superclocked is considered outdated compared to newer graphics cards. It may still be able to handle basic gaming and graphics tasks, but it may struggle with newer and more demanding applications. It is recommended to upgrade to a newer graphics card for better performance and compatibility with modern technology.