Request: comet projectory calculating tool

In summary, the conversation is about finding a program that can simulate the projectories of comets and other objects that reach the orbit of planets. The person is looking for a program with a graphic interface and preferably free. Another person suggests using Gravity Simulator or the beta version of Orbit Simulator for this purpose.
Keba
Hi
(I hope I'm posting in the right place)
In physics class we are currently working with projectories of comets etc. that reach the orbit of planets, and get pulled in by its gravity. My teacher is currently doing the work in an excel document, but has requested a better solution for calculating the projectories.
Does anyone know of a program (freeware is prefferable) that can simulate such projectories with a graphic interface? Or has any ideas of how it could be accomplished without having to do it in excel? Any comments on the matter appreciated.

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Does anyone of of such an application?

What is a projectory? Do you simply want to plot the trajectory of a comet? You could use Gravity Simulator: www.gravitysimulator.com

I believe that was what I have been looking for.

Thank you tony873004.

If you need help setting up your simulations let me know. For comets, you might prefer the beta version:

http://www.orbitsimulator.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1176774875

1. What is a comet projectory calculating tool?

A comet projectory calculating tool is a software or tool that is used to predict and calculate the trajectory of a comet. It takes into account various factors such as the comet's mass, velocity, and gravitational forces to determine its path through space.

2. How does a comet projectory calculating tool work?

A comet projectory calculating tool uses mathematical equations and algorithms to analyze the data inputted and make predictions about the comet's trajectory. It takes into account the comet's initial conditions and uses them to calculate its path through space.

3. What are the main uses of a comet projectory calculating tool?

A comet projectory calculating tool is mainly used by astronomers and scientists to study and predict the movements of comets. It can also be used for educational purposes to demonstrate the principles of orbital mechanics and celestial mechanics.

4. Is a comet projectory calculating tool accurate?

Yes, a comet projectory calculating tool is accurate to a certain extent. It takes into account various factors and makes predictions based on the data inputted. However, factors such as gravitational pull from other celestial bodies and unpredictable events can affect the accuracy of the calculations.

5. Can a comet projectory calculating tool be used for other celestial bodies?

Yes, some comet projectory calculating tools can also be used to calculate the trajectories of other celestial bodies such as planets, asteroids, and moons. However, the equations and algorithms used may vary depending on the specific body being analyzed.