How to Calculate Torque in a Hydraulic Brake System

In summary, the problem involves determining the frictional torque on the axle of a wheel when a force of 44N is applied to the brake pedal. The area of the piston in the master cylinder is 1.8cm^2 and the area of the piston in the brake cylinder is 6.4cm^2. The coefficient of friction between the shoe and wheel drum is 0.50. Using the equation torque = rF, the torque can be found by multiplying the force by the distance from the point of application to the line of action of the force. However, there is some confusion as to which force (F1 or F2) is being applied at which location (master or brake cylinder). Further clarification is
sun

Homework Statement

The area of the piston in the master cylinder is 1.8cm^2, and that of the piston in the brake cylinder is 6.4cm^2. The coefficient of friction between shoe and wheel drum is .50. If the wheel has a radius of 34cm, determine the frictional torque about the axle when a force of 44N is exerted on the brake pedal.

(Pedal)--[master cylinder]-----[brake cylinder]-----(shoe)Wheel drum

Homework Equations

torque=rF
F1=(A1/A2)F2
F=(mu)*normal force

1.8cm^2=1.8X10^-4m^2
6.4cm^2=6.4X10^-4m^2
radius=34cm=.34m

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for F2 and got 12.4N. Is this the force that the shoe exerts on the wheel drum?
If that is correct, how do i go about solving for the torque?

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to know where the force is being applied on the wheel. Since a radius is given, it seems logical to take the force as being applied at that ditance.

Torque about a point = force*dist from that pt to line of action of force.

Hi,
I might be wrong, but I was going through the problem statement and got a doubt there.

I think you have considered A1 as aan area of Master Cylinder, then F1 should be 44 N, as it is the force applied on the brake pedal. F2 must be a force exerted by a brake cylinder. Please correct me if my thinking is wrong...

Going through the problem again, I think user Chandrakiran is correct. Exerting 44 N and getting 12.4 N doesn't seem realistic. The OP had not specified which are the brake and master cylinders, and I had only anwered as to how to find the torque.

Nice work, Chandrakiran.

What is a hydraulic brake system?

A hydraulic brake system is a type of braking system in which brake fluid is used to transfer force from the brake pedal to the brake pads, causing them to press against the rotors and slow down or stop a vehicle.

How does a hydraulic brake system work?

A hydraulic brake system works by using a master cylinder, brake lines, and brake calipers to transfer force from the brake pedal to the brake pads. When the brake pedal is pressed, it pushes a piston in the master cylinder, which then forces brake fluid through the brake lines and into the calipers, causing the brake pads to press against the rotors.

What are the advantages of a hydraulic brake system?

One advantage of a hydraulic brake system is that it allows for a consistent and smooth braking experience, as the force from the pedal is evenly distributed to all four brakes. Additionally, hydraulic brake systems are less prone to fading, meaning they can maintain their effectiveness even when subjected to high temperatures.

What are the components of a hydraulic brake system?

The main components of a hydraulic brake system include the master cylinder, brake lines, brake calipers, brake pads, and rotors. Other components may include a brake booster, which helps increase the force applied to the brake pedal, and an anti-lock braking system (ABS), which helps prevent the wheels from locking up during hard braking.

How often should a hydraulic brake system be maintained?

It is recommended to have a hydraulic brake system inspected and maintained every 12,000-15,000 miles or once a year, whichever comes first. This includes checking the brake fluid level and condition, inspecting the brake pads and rotors for wear, and flushing the brake fluid if necessary.