Calculating Speed Needed to Break a Parachute with Nylon

• Thread starter oscarwyatt
  • Start date
In summary, you have chosen to talk about nylon for parachutes and have calculated the velocity at which a parachute would break based on certain assumptions and equations. The ultimate strength of nylon is 75 Mpa and the parachute would break at a weight of 15 tonnes. The drag force would exceed the strength of the parachute at a velocity of 52.27m/s or faster. Overall, your presentation seems well-prepared and accurate. Good job!
oscarwyatt
Hi,
I have to do a presentation at school and I've chosen to talk about nylon for parachutes. We have to do a calculation and although I've done it, I am a bit worried if its correct or if there's something I've missed, its rather important so I was wondering if anybody could see any problems with it. Briefly explained, the idea is to find out how fast you would have to be falling to make a parachute break, first by calculating how much weight would make a parachute break and then converting this to force and using an equation.

Its based on these assumptions:
- The parachute is a perfect dome
- The straps on the parachute will not break
- The person can be falling at any speed, we will assume his terminal resistance is infinite
- The area of the parachute is 60m2
- We will ignore the weight of the person and that of the parachute itself
- The parachute is formed from a single unbroken mould of a parachute

The ultimate strength of nylon is 75 Mpa – 7,500,000 kgm2
I think a parachute would be about 2 mm thick
Therefore: 15,000,000 = 15,000 kg
The parachute canvas will break when a weight of 15 tonnes is applied

We need to find the velocity at which the drag force will exceed the strength of the parachute.
This can be done by rearranging the following equation:
FD = ½ densityofair Cd A v2
Or
Drag force = ½ x density of air x drag coefficient x area of the parachute x velocity2
To become:
drag force = velocity2
½ x density of air x drag coefficient x area of the parachute

150,000 = velocity2
½ x 1.22 x 1.5 x 60

Therefore:
2,732.22 = velocity2
Therefore, the parachute would only break if you were traveling at 52.27m/s or faster

If anyone wants to see it as it is in the presentation (probably better idea) its http://www.rhphotography.co.uk/nylon.ppt"

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you did a good job on your presentation. Your calculations seem to be correct and I can't see any major errors. You may want to double-check the equation you used to make sure it is consistent with the assumptions you made, but other than that, it seems perfect.

Hello,

I appreciate your interest in calculating the speed needed to break a parachute made of nylon. Your assumptions and calculations seem reasonable, but there are a few things to consider. Firstly, the ultimate strength of nylon is typically measured in Newtons per square meter (N/m2) or Pascals (Pa), not in kgm2. This may affect your calculations and the weight at which the parachute would break. Additionally, the thickness of the parachute may affect the strength and breaking point, so it is important to consider the actual thickness of the material used in the parachute. Furthermore, the drag coefficient (Cd) may vary depending on the shape and design of the parachute, so it is important to use an accurate value for this parameter in your calculations. Lastly, it may be helpful to include a safety factor in your calculations to account for any unforeseen variables or errors in your assumptions.

Overall, your approach seems sound and your results are within a reasonable range. However, to ensure accuracy and precision, it may be helpful to consult with a physics or engineering expert or to conduct further research on the specific properties of nylon and parachute design. Good luck with your presentation!

1. What is the formula for calculating the speed needed to break a parachute with nylon?

The formula for calculating the speed needed to break a parachute with nylon is v = √(mg/CdA), where v is the speed, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, Cd is the drag coefficient, and A is the cross-sectional area of the parachute.

2. How do you determine the mass of the object in the formula?

The mass of the object can be determined by weighing it on a scale or by using its known weight. It is important to use the mass of the entire object, including any additional weight added for the experiment.

3. What is the acceleration due to gravity used in the calculation?

The acceleration due to gravity used in the calculation is typically 9.8 m/s². This is the standard value for Earth's gravitational acceleration, but it may vary slightly depending on the location of the experiment.

4. How do you find the drag coefficient for nylon?

The drag coefficient for nylon can be found by conducting experiments or by looking it up in a reference table. The drag coefficient will vary depending on the shape, size, and texture of the nylon material used.

5. Can this formula be used for other materials besides nylon?

Yes, this formula can be used for other materials besides nylon. However, the drag coefficient and cross-sectional area will need to be adjusted accordingly for the specific material being used. It is important to use the correct values for the material being tested in order to get an accurate result.