Simple Law of Refraction Problem

In summary, the conversation is about a student struggling with a problem related to the Law of Refraction and seeking help. The problem involves measuring angles and using Snell's law to find a solution. The student is unsure about which angles to measure and how to proceed mathematically.
opticaltempest

Homework Statement

I am studying the Law of Refraction. I am at a point in my textbook called a "checkpoint". These are supposed to be simple questions to test understanding. I'm apparently not understanding thus far because I cannot figure out this problem.

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/7029/refractionqn3.jpg

Homework Equations

Snell's Law?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm sure the angles of line segments b and c (relative to a?) will be the determining factor. Since the problem says "original materials a" does that mean we measure all angles relative to line segment a? How do I proceed more mathematically on this problem - perhaps using Snell's law?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Definitely use Snell's law. Measure angles with respect to the normal, as usual with Snell's law.

I understand your confusion and am happy to help you with this problem. First, let's clarify a few things. The "original materials a" refers to the materials on the left side of the interface, while "original materials b" refers to the materials on the right side. This means that the angles of line segments b and c should be measured relative to their respective original materials, not line segment a.

Now, let's look at Snell's law, which states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the velocities of light in the two materials. In this problem, we are given the index of refraction for each material, which is equal to the ratio of the velocity of light in a vacuum to the velocity of light in that material.

So, to solve this problem, we can use Snell's law and the given index of refraction values to calculate the angles of refraction for both materials. Remember to use the correct index of refraction for each material when calculating the angles. Once you have the angles of refraction, you can use the fact that the sum of the angles in a triangle is 180 degrees to solve for the missing angle.

I hope this helps you understand the problem better and gives you a starting point for solving it. Good luck!

1. What is the Law of Refraction?

The Law of Refraction, also known as Snell's Law, describes the relationship between the angle of incidence and the angle of refraction when a light ray passes through a boundary between two different materials.

2. How do you calculate the angle of refraction?

The angle of refraction can be calculated using the formula n1sinθ1 = n2sinθ2, where n1 and n2 are the refractive indices of the two materials and θ1 and θ2 are the angles of incidence and refraction, respectively.

3. What is the difference between the angle of incidence and the angle of refraction?

The angle of incidence is the angle between the incident light ray and the normal (perpendicular) to the surface, while the angle of refraction is the angle between the refracted light ray and the normal.

4. What happens to the angle of refraction when light passes from a less dense to a more dense material?

When light passes from a less dense to a more dense material, the angle of refraction decreases. This is because the light ray bends towards the normal as it enters the more dense material.

5. How does the speed of light change when it passes through different materials?

The speed of light changes when it passes through different materials due to their different refractive indices. The higher the refractive index, the slower the speed of light will be. This is why light appears to slow down when passing through materials such as glass or water.