Differential equation reducible to Bessel's Equation

In summary, to reduce an equation to Bessel's equation and find a general solution, follow these steps: 1. Set the variable x^2 equal to z. 2. Use the chain rule to convert d2y/dx2 to d2y/dz2. 3. Substitute the new expressions for dy/dx and d2y/dx2 into the original equation. 4. Solve for the new variable z. 5. Substitute z back in for x^2 in the original equation to get the Bessel's equation. 6. Solve the Bessel's equation to find the general solution.
joel19
How do I reduce an equation to Bessel's equation and find a general solution to it:

For example how do I solve this:

x^2y" + xy' + (4x^4 - 1/4)y = 0 (set x^2 = z)

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, apparently you have been told to "set z= x2". Have you tried that at all? Do you know how to use the chain rule to convert d2y/dx2 to d2y/dz2?

To start you off, dy/dx= (dy/dz)(dz/dx)= (2x)(dy/dz).

Then d^2y/dx^2= d(2x dy/dz)/dx= 2 dy/dz+ d(dy/dx)/dx= 2 dy/dz +(d^2y/dz^2)(2x).

Hi all,

How do i reduce the eqn. below to Bessel's eqn. (how can i use the transformation when i have y, x, and u)

4x^2y'' - 20xy' + (4x^2 + 35)y = 0 (y = (x^3).u)

Do you mean to set y= x3u(x) where u is some unknown function? Then just DO it!

If y= x3u, then y'= 3x2u+ x3u' and y"= 6xu+ 6x2u'+ x3u". Replace y, y' and y" in the equation with those and you get another differential equation for u rather than y.

I was not sure about u is a function of x, should that be so? I am asking this is because i do not understand (unless u is a func. of x) why we use a third variable for reducing.

I will try what you suggested, and thank you for your help.

If u is NOT a function of x, what is it? A constant? If that were so, you would be asking how to write an equation in x and y, a function of x, in terms of x only, and that cannot be done.

Yes, you are right. I just could not think simple, (may be it can be written as u(x) instead of u, for being more clear, but u is commonly used as a function of x, i should have remembered that),anyway, i reduced the ode to Bessel's eqn. Thanks for your help again.

hey pips can you help me solve this one:

xy'' - y' + y = 0...in terms of bessel functions

Try this substitution:

[tex]X=2\sqrt{x}[/tex]

[tex]Y=\frac{y}{x}[/tex]

Hey could you help me solve
x^2*y''+2x*y'+x^2*y=0

1. What is a differential equation reducible to Bessel's Equation?

A differential equation is reducible to Bessel's Equation if it can be written in the form of x2y'' + xy' + (x2 - ν2)y = 0, where ν is a constant. This equation is known as Bessel's Equation and has a solution in the form of Bessel functions.

2. What is the significance of Bessel's Equation?

Bessel's Equation is important in many areas of mathematics and science, particularly in the study of wave phenomena such as sound, heat, and electromagnetic waves. It also has applications in engineering, physics, and astronomy.

3. How is a differential equation reduced to Bessel's Equation?

A differential equation can be reduced to Bessel's Equation by substituting the solution in the form of Bessel functions y(x) = xνn=0anxn into the original equation and solving for the coefficients an.

4. What are Bessel functions?

Bessel functions are special functions that are solutions to Bessel's Equation. They are named after the mathematician Friedrich Bessel and are denoted by the symbol Jν(x), where ν is the order of the function.

5. Can Bessel's Equation be solved analytically?

Yes, Bessel's Equation can be solved analytically using Bessel functions. However, for certain values of ν, the solution may involve complex numbers. In these cases, numerical methods may be used to approximate the solution.