Plasma Drag Reduction & Hypersonic Travel

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of plasma drag reduction for blunt-body objects traveling through gas, specifically in the context of hypersonic vehicles. The participants debate the effectiveness and efficiency of using energy for plasma drag reduction versus thrust, and discuss various methods for ionizing the gas in front of the vehicle. The conversation also touches on the related phenomena of supercavitation and aerothermochemistry.
sanman
I'd heard this was a relatively newer discovery -- that a blunt-body object traveling through a gas experiences a reduction in drag if that same gas is turned into plasma.

I'm haven't read exactly why this occurs, but I'd presume that a gaseous fluid medium becomes easier to pass through if its usual constituent diatomic molecules are broken down into lower-mass monoatomic ions. I don't know -- that's just my guess.

Anyway, I have read skeptics point out that the energy required to ionize the atmosphere in front of your aerobody could instead be applied for greater thrust, with the same net resultant speed increase.

But clearly for hypersonic vehicles, which encounter tremendous heating issues, then perhaps it might then be worth it to channel some energy into the plasma drag reduction rather than purely into thrust, in order to alleviate the frictional heating problems. Additionally, the gas in the upper atmosphere through which the hypersonic vehicle would travel might be a little more readily ionizable, which helps.

What would then be the best, most efficient/effective method to ionize a gas in front of a hypersonic vehicle, in order to mitigate drag and heating effects?
A long electrode spike protruding out in front of the vehicle? Femtosecond laser pulses? Microwaves?
Which way is best?

Engineering news on Phys.org
This sounds similar to supercavitation, though with a plasma bubble in air instead of an air bubble in water. Wonder how you'd supercavitate in a solid–with a liquid bubble?!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercavitation

Ionization and turning into a plasma are two different (albeit related) phenomena. At hypersonic speeds, especially reentry, the gas ionizes naturally simply because of the huge temperatures involved. There is an entire field based on modeling that called aerothermochemistry.

Okay, I'm just saying that I think the reason that plasma is easier to slip through, is that it's primarily a bunch of monoatomic constituents with lower density, rather than much larger and clunkier molecules.

1. What is plasma drag reduction?

Plasma drag reduction is a phenomenon where a high-temperature and ionized gas, or plasma, is used to reduce the drag force on an aircraft or object traveling at high speeds in the Earth's atmosphere. This can allow for faster and more efficient hypersonic travel.

2. How does plasma drag reduction work?

Plasma drag reduction works by creating a layer of ionized gas around the object, which interacts with the air flow and reduces the drag force. This can be achieved by using electrical energy to ionize gas molecules, or by using a plasma generator on the surface of the object.

3. What are the benefits of plasma drag reduction?

The main benefit of plasma drag reduction is its potential to significantly reduce the drag force on an aircraft or object, allowing for faster and more efficient hypersonic travel. This can also lead to reduced fuel consumption and emissions, as well as increased payload capacity.

4. What are the challenges of implementing plasma drag reduction?

One of the main challenges of implementing plasma drag reduction is the high energy requirements. Creating and maintaining a plasma layer around an object requires a significant amount of electrical energy, which can be difficult and expensive to generate and sustain. Additionally, there are still many technical challenges that need to be addressed in order to fully utilize plasma drag reduction for practical hypersonic travel.

5. Are there any current applications of plasma drag reduction?

While there are ongoing research and development efforts, there are currently no commercial applications of plasma drag reduction for hypersonic travel. However, there have been successful experiments in wind tunnels and flight tests, and it is considered a promising technology for future hypersonic aircraft and space vehicles.