What is the Difference Between Activity and Concentration in Chemical Laws?

In summary, activity is the amount of reactants or products that are involved in a reaction. It is related to concentration and is approximately equal to concentration for very dilute solutions. The activity of solids is taken to be unity.
rohanprabhu
Many of the chemical laws/concepts we deal with which relate some number to the 'quantity' of the reactants and/or products or the quantity of these substances among themselves, talk about 'activity'. For example, the law of mass action, or the Equilibrium constant.

But I've seen that they use concentration and active mass interchangeably. So.. my question is what exactly is activity? How does it differ from concentration and why is it that activity becomes approximately equal to concentration for very dilute solutions.

and.. also.. why is the activity of solids taken to be unity?

thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
rohanprabhu said:
Many of the chemical laws/concepts we deal with which relate some number to the 'quantity' of the reactants and/or products or the quantity of these substances among themselves, talk about 'activity'. For example, the law of mass action, or the Equilibrium constant.

But I've seen that they use concentration and active mass interchangeably. So.. my question is what exactly is activity? How does it differ from concentration and why is it that activity becomes approximately equal to concentration for very dilute solutions.

and.. also.. why is the activity of solids taken to be unity?

thanks

Let's make an example. We know that, for example, PbCl2 is not soluble (at cold) in water (Kps ~ 10^(-5)). You add a great amount of KNO3 to the solution and, magically, the PbCl2 precipitate dissoles. Why?

The fact is that, a priori, there is actually not a clear reason for the fact that if you increase the concentration of Pb++ or Cl- ions you must have the formation of a precipitate (for mass-action law): what counts is actually the attraction of the ions and how this attraction, or, in general, interaction, depends on the ion concentrations, is not so immediate; you have to remember that we don't have ions in the gaseous state, they are immersed in a solvent which, actually, does partake in the process; our Pb++ and Cl- ions interact with H2O molecules and not in a simple way; a first way of coming out of this problem simplifying it, is to simply consider how the presence of generic ions of specific charge changes the dielectric constant of the solvent. This is summarized by the concept of "ionic strength":

[tex]I\ =\ 1/2\ \Sigma_i c_iz_i^2[/tex]

where c_i is the concentration of the i-esim ion with charge number z_i (-1 for Cl-, +2 for Pb++, ecc.).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ionic_strength

Ionic strenght affect the way in which our ions interact, because the higher I, the less they will attract; this is quantitatively expressed by the "Debye-Hückel equation":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debye-Hückel_equation

which provides you (for dilute solutions) the activity coefficients of Pb++ and Cl- which, multiplied by their concentrations, gives you the "activity" of the ions, which are the correct quantity to consider in the product equation of Kps.
A similar reasoning applies to other kinds of reactions.

Last edited:
Coming from a materials science perspective: the concentration of A in B tells you how many A atoms there are in a total of A and B atoms. Simple enough. But the activity gives you much more information: it tells you about the bonding between A and B atoms. If the activity of A is less than one, then A and B will tend to mix, because the A-B bond is more stable than A-A and B-B bonds. If the activity of A is more than one, the reverse is true; A-B bonds are less favored than A-A and B-B bonds. In this case, the mixture will tend to phase separate, like oil and water.

This is why it's convenient to consider the activity of of a solid or liquid (which is equivalent to a mixture of A in A) to be one.

1. What is the difference between activity and concentration?

Activity refers to the amount of a substance that is actively participating in a reaction, while concentration refers to the amount of a substance present in a given volume or space. In other words, activity takes into account the chemical reactivity of a substance, while concentration is simply a measure of how much of that substance is present.

2. How are activity and concentration related?

Activity and concentration are directly related through the equilibrium constant (K) of a reaction. The activity of a substance is equal to its concentration multiplied by its activity coefficient (γ), which takes into account the non-ideal behavior of the substance. Therefore, as the concentration of a substance increases, its activity will also increase, and vice versa.

3. How do changes in activity and concentration affect a chemical reaction?

Changes in activity and concentration can affect the rate and direction of a chemical reaction. An increase in activity or concentration of a reactant will lead to an increase in the rate of the forward reaction, while a decrease will lead to a decrease in the rate. In addition, changes in the activity and concentration of products can also shift the equilibrium of a reaction.

4. How are activity and concentration measured in a laboratory setting?

Activity and concentration can be measured using various methods, such as titration, spectrophotometry, and gravimetry. These methods involve determining the amount of a substance present in a given volume or space, and then calculating its activity using the appropriate equations and constants.

5. What factors can affect the activity and concentration of a substance?

The activity and concentration of a substance can be affected by various factors, such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of other substances or ions. In addition, the nature of the solvent and the pH of the solution can also have an impact on the activity and concentration of a substance.