Proving Isomorphism and Galois Group Existence in Abstract Algebra Homework

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between a group G and the Galois group of an irreducible polynomial of degree d. It is stated that G is isomorphic to the Galois group if it has a subgroup H of index d such that the intersection of the conjugates of H in G is trivial. The conversation also discusses how the index of a subgroup relates to the degree of a field extension, and how this can be used to show that G acts transitively on a set of d elements, making it the Galois group of an irreducible polynomial with d roots.
Mystic998

Homework Statement

Show that G is isomorphic to the Galois group of an irreducible polynomial of degree d iff is has a subgroup H of index d such that [tex] \bigcap_{\sigma \in G} \sigma H \sigma^{-1} = {1} [/tex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that if G acts transitively as a permutation group on a set (and it does in this case being isomorphic to the Galois group of an irreducible), then the stabilizer of an element has the given property. And since the stabilizer is functionally the same for any root, it really shouldn't matter which one I choose. But I don't know how to show that it's of index d. I've tried counting permutations that fix an element and permutations that don't (should be |G|/d or d respectively, assuming I'm doing this right), but I can't find any obvious way to do so in general since obviously the Galois group can be lots and lots of weird things (all subgroups of a symmetric group of course).

As for the other direction, I think it's probably easy to show that if all the conjugates of a subgroup intersect in the trivial subgroup, then G has to act transitively on some set, and so it can be the Galois group of an irreducible with the same number of roots as the set it's acting on. But again I'm not sure why the index being d implies that it has to act transitively on a set of d elements.

Thanks for any help. Also, I might post some more stuff in this topic if I don't have any luck on some other problems.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you mean to say "such that [itex]\bigcap_{\sigma \in G} \sigma H \sigma^{-1} = H[/itex]"?

For the index bit, can't you invoke the fundamental theorem of Galois theory? Remember the connection between indices of subgroups and degrees of field extensions.

Oh, I meant for the intersection to be trivial. I'll think about what you said though.

1. What is abstract algebra?

Abstract algebra is a branch of mathematics that studies algebraic structures, such as groups, rings, and fields. It focuses on the properties and relationships between these structures rather than specific numbers or objects.

2. What are some real-world applications of abstract algebra?

Abstract algebra has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. For example, group theory is used in particle physics to study symmetries, while coding theory uses algebraic structures to develop efficient error-correcting codes.

3. What are the key concepts in abstract algebra?

The key concepts in abstract algebra include groups, rings, and fields, as well as their properties and operations. Other important concepts include homomorphisms, isomorphisms, and substructures.

4. How is abstract algebra different from traditional algebra?

Traditional algebra deals with concrete numbers and objects, while abstract algebra focuses on the underlying structures and their properties. It also introduces new algebraic structures that are not typically studied in traditional algebra, such as groups and fields.

5. What skills are needed to study abstract algebra?

To study abstract algebra, one needs a strong foundation in mathematical concepts such as set theory, logic, and proofs. It also requires strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as the ability to think abstractly and visualize complex structures.