[Vibration analysis] Timoskenko beam Vs.Euler-bernoulli beam ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between Timoshenko beam and Euler-Bernoulli beam in terms of vibration analysis, dynamic studies, and static analysis. The Timoshenko beam model includes the effect of shear forces, which is often neglected in slender beams, while the Euler-Bernoulli beam is simpler and can be used for most beams except for concrete beams. The conversation also mentions a previous discussion on this topic.
ACT
Hello,

I am looking for explanations and detailed studies or even brief ones about the differences in Vibration analysis and dynamic studies as well as static analysis between

Timoskenko beam and .Euler-bernoulli beam

when should i use Euler-bernoulli beam?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi.As far as I know Timoshenko beam model includes the effect of shear efforts which is usually neglected when dealing with slender beams. The most of the beams you will encounter are slender (steel beams for example), which are much longer than wide so unless you're analyzing concrete beams (which are usually not so slender) I think you can use the Euler-Bernoulli beam,it's simpler.

Regards.

Michujo.

I already told you the difference in another thread, why create another thread and ask again?

1. What is the difference between Timoskenko beam and Euler-Bernoulli beam in vibration analysis?

The main difference between Timoskenko beam and Euler-Bernoulli beam is the way they consider shear deformations. In Euler-Bernoulli beam theory, shear deformations are neglected, whereas in Timoskenko beam theory, shear deformations are taken into account.

2. Which beam theory is more accurate in vibration analysis: Timoskenko or Euler-Bernoulli?

It depends on the type of beam and the level of accuracy required. In general, Timoskenko beam theory is more accurate for beams with high aspect ratios and for dynamic analysis. Euler-Bernoulli beam theory is more accurate for beams with low aspect ratios and for static analysis.

3. Can Timoskenko beam and Euler-Bernoulli beam be used interchangeably in vibration analysis?

No, Timoskenko beam and Euler-Bernoulli beam cannot be used interchangeably in vibration analysis. Each theory has its own assumptions and limitations, and using the wrong theory can lead to inaccurate results.

4. How do Timoskenko beam and Euler-Bernoulli beam differ in their assumptions?

Euler-Bernoulli beam theory assumes that the cross-section of the beam remains perpendicular to the neutral axis and that shear deformations are negligible. Timoskenko beam theory, on the other hand, assumes that the cross-section of the beam can rotate and deform due to shear forces.

5. Which beam theory is more commonly used in practical applications for vibration analysis?

Euler-Bernoulli beam theory is more commonly used in practical applications for vibration analysis. This is because it is simpler and easier to solve mathematically, making it more convenient for engineers and designers. However, for certain types of beams and for more accurate results, Timoskenko beam theory may be necessary.