Electromagnetism, calculate electron charge/mass ratio

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with posting a link to a picture due to forum rules. The issue is solved by omitting the "www." part or adding extra spaces around the dots in the link. The person who originally had the problem has already solved it and is advised to reach out to a mentor or homework helper for assistance in the future.
Antti
[SOLVED] Electromagnetism, calculate electron charge/mass ratio

I've spent all day writing a post and now I can't post a link to my picture due to your rules. Solved the problem anyway

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You could have loaded the picture as an attachment.

I think you can omit the "www." part and post the rest of the link, and we could add in the missing part. Or, I've seen people put extra spaces around the dots " . " and then people just have to delete the spaces (after a copy-and-paste of the text).

Ok, now I know :)

I won't post the problem though since I solved it already

Antti said:
Ok, now I know :)

I won't post the problem though since I solved it already

No problem. If you have trouble in the future with forum features don't hesitate to PM (private message) a mentor or homework helper. We're a friendly bunch and should be able to tell you what you need to do.

1. What is electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism is a branch of physics that deals with the interaction between electrically charged particles and their surrounding magnetic fields. It is one of the four fundamental forces of nature and is responsible for the behavior of electrically charged particles, such as electrons.

2. How is the electron charge/mass ratio calculated?

The electron charge/mass ratio is calculated by dividing the magnitude of an electron's charge by its mass. This value can be determined experimentally using a device called a cathode ray tube, which measures the deflection of electrons in an electric and magnetic field. The resulting value is approximately -1.76 x 10^11 coulombs per kilogram (C/kg).

3. What is the significance of the electron charge/mass ratio?

The electron charge/mass ratio is a fundamental constant of nature and is used in many equations and theories in physics, such as in the calculation of magnetic fields and the behavior of charged particles in electric and magnetic fields. It also played a crucial role in the development of quantum mechanics and our understanding of the structure of atoms.

4. Is the electron charge/mass ratio constant?

Yes, the electron charge/mass ratio is a constant value that has been measured and confirmed through numerous experiments. It is not dependent on the mass or velocity of the electron, making it a universal constant that is the same for all electrons.

5. How does the electron charge/mass ratio relate to other fundamental constants?

The electron charge/mass ratio is related to other fundamental constants, such as the speed of light and Planck's constant, through various equations in physics. These constants are all interconnected and are used to describe the behavior of matter and energy in the universe.