Model Rocket question regarding height,time,acceleration

In summary, a model rocket with a constant acceleration of 78 m/s^2 reaches a height of 4.0 m with a speed of 25.0 m/s. It takes 0.32 seconds for the rocket to reach this height and its speed is 25.0 m/s. The height of the rocket 0.20 seconds after launch is approximately 1.5 m, but may vary due to rounding or significant figures. The speed of the rocket 0.20 seconds after launch can be found using the formula V = a*t, where a is the acceleration and t is the time. It is important to consider the forces and accelerations acting on the object at different points in time when solving these types
rsfancy
A model rocket rises with constant acceleration to a height of 4.0 m, at which point its speed is 25.0 m/s.
How long does it take for the rocket to reach this height? Ans: t= 0.32s
What was the magnitude of the rockets acceleration? Ans a= 78 m/s^2

"Find the height of the rocket 0.20 seconds after launch."
I can't seem to get it right, I know its at least close to 1.5, because that was my original answer but the darned online system says "Not quite. Check through your calculations; you may have made a rounding error or used the wrong number of significant figures." the answer is supposed to be to two significant figures.

"Find the speed of the rocket 0.20 seconds after launch."
I haven't attempted this part of the question yet because I think I need to use what I figure out from the previous question to work on this.

All this stuff is not hard, but I can't seem to grasp the simple concepts that I am missing in figuring it out, any help and/or guidance would be really appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
h = 1/2*a*t^2. Put the values of a and t and see how much you get.

rsfancy said:
A model rocket rises with constant acceleration to a height of 4.0 m, at which point its speed is 25.0 m/s.
How long does it take for the rocket to reach this height? Ans: t= 0.32s
What was the magnitude of the rockets acceleration? Ans a= 78 m/s^2

"Find the height of the rocket 0.20 seconds after launch."
I can't seem to get it right, I know its at least close to 1.5, because that was my original answer but the darned online system says "Not quite. Check through your calculations; you may have made a rounding error or used the wrong number of significant figures." the answer is supposed to be to two significant figures.

"Find the speed of the rocket 0.20 seconds after launch."
I haven't attempted this part of the question yet because I think I need to use what I figure out from the previous question to work on this.

All this stuff is not hard, but I can't seem to grasp the simple concepts that I am missing in figuring it out, any help and/or guidance would be really appreciated.

The thing to keep in mind is what forces (hence accelerations) are acting on the object at different points in time. Since they are asking you for the V and x at a time during which the object was undergoing uniform acceleration starting from rest (V=0) then the equation for finding distance x (or h), is going to be simply
x=1/2 a t2 because the other terms will be 0 because it started at 0 from rest.
Likewise for finding speed you know starting from rest that V = a t

Basically you can use the formulas that relate x, V and t according to what you know and what you need to figure out. Here is a link to various kinematic equations that you might find useful.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=905663&postcount=2

1. How high can a model rocket go?

The maximum height a model rocket can reach depends on various factors such as the design of the rocket, weight, engine power, and weather conditions. On average, model rockets can reach heights of 400-800 feet.

2. How long does it take for a model rocket to reach its maximum height?

The time it takes for a model rocket to reach its maximum height depends on the engine power and design of the rocket. On average, it takes about 5-7 seconds for a model rocket to reach its maximum height.

3. What is the acceleration of a model rocket?

The acceleration of a model rocket depends on the engine power and design of the rocket. Most model rockets have an acceleration of 5-10 meters per second squared.

4. Can a model rocket reach speeds faster than the speed of sound?

No, model rockets are not designed to reach supersonic speeds. The average speed of a model rocket is around 100-150 mph, which is much slower than the speed of sound (767 mph).

5. Is it safe to launch a model rocket in different weather conditions?

It is not recommended to launch a model rocket in extreme weather conditions such as strong winds or rain. These conditions can affect the flight of the rocket and potentially make it unsafe. It is best to launch a model rocket in mild weather conditions with little to no wind.