Fuel consumption,throttle position, engine speed

In summary: If you've got your foot to the floor, and the engine is making more power, the computer will tell the engine to inject more fuel.
phlegmy
hey dudes
whats been puzzling me is what determines fuel consumption in a cars engine.

i suppose i can reduce my question to this
what determines how much feul is injected into the cylinder in anyone stroke?

scenario 1: if I'm towing a heavy trailer uphill, in say 4th gear [manual transmission]
and I'm going as fast as i can, i floor the accelerator, and nothing happens, the engine speed does not increase so I'm assuming no more fuel is going to the engine
so what prevents more fuel being injected?

scenario 2
i'm now on the flat going at 100km/h in 4th gear my engine speed is 3000rpm
i shift to 5th maintaining 100km/h and my engine speed drops to 2500rpm.
my wheels are putting out the same amount of power to keep that speed but my engine speed has dropped so...
am i using the same feul in 4th gear at 3000rpm and 100km/h
as i would in 5th gear at 2500rpmm and 100km/h

or am i using more fuel in 4th gear by virtue of higher engine speed the extra energy of which is going to overheating my engine?

i know this question is a little hazy but any input is always appreciated!
thanks
james

Engineering news on Phys.org
Fuel injection quantity in a modern engine is basically determined by engine speed and inlet manifold pressure. Throttle position, air flow and exhaust lambda are sometimes taken into account too, but these are secondary.

Scenario 1.
If you've got your foot to the floor, the engine is developing as much power as it can at that speed. If you're at 80% throttle, towing your trailer up a hill at constant speed, and you go to 100% throttle, more power will be developed and you will accelerate. It just might not seem like you do if it's very slow.

Scenario 2.
No, you're not necessarily using the same fuel in 4th as you are in 5th, even though your power and vehicle speed is the same. All engines have a point on the torque curve where they operate with their greatest fuel efficiency. It's hard to say whether you're using less fuel in 4th or 5th in that situation; I'd put my money on 5th (but you'd have to test or look at engine data to say for sure).

In old carburetors, Bernoulli's Principle essentially drove the thing. There was basically a straw dipped into fuel that was inserted into the airstream. As air flows over the straw, the increase in velocity causes a decrease in pressure which "sucks" the fuel into the air stream.

Nowadays, as brewnog said, the manifold pressure is used to determine the engine load, or how hard the engine is trying to work. After that, it's all done electronically.

1. What is fuel consumption?

Fuel consumption refers to the amount of fuel used by a vehicle or machine over a specific period of time. It is usually measured in units of distance per unit of fuel, such as miles per gallon or liters per 100 kilometers.

2. How does throttle position affect fuel consumption?

Throttle position refers to the angle of the throttle valve in a vehicle's engine. The more open the throttle valve is, the more air and fuel can enter the engine, increasing the engine's power and fuel consumption. Conversely, closing the throttle valve can decrease fuel consumption.

3. What is the relationship between engine speed and fuel consumption?

Engine speed, also known as RPM (revolutions per minute), is the number of rotations the engine's crankshaft makes in a minute. Generally, the higher the engine speed, the more fuel is consumed. This is because a higher engine speed requires more power, which requires more fuel.

4. How can I improve fuel consumption?

There are several ways to improve fuel consumption, such as maintaining proper tire pressure, avoiding excessive idling, and using the recommended grade of motor oil. Avoiding rapid acceleration and maintaining a steady speed can also help improve fuel efficiency.

5. Does fuel consumption vary based on the type of fuel used?

Yes, different types of fuel can have varying levels of energy density, which can affect fuel consumption. For example, diesel fuel has a higher energy density than gasoline, meaning less fuel is needed for the same amount of power. Using a higher octane fuel may also improve fuel efficiency in some vehicles.